Commercial detection hindered if the program is viewed during?

Maybe it was purely by chance, but I’ve noticed that commercial detection doesn’t kick in at all if the program was viewed during recording.
Were these unrelated incidents, or does viewing a program during recording hinder commercial detection at the end of the recording?

1 Like

Recordings have to finish before DVR will detect commercials.

I experienced this issue a few days ago as well. But, I was not watching the same channel that I was recording. I have a prime with cable card and all three tuners were in use. Commercial Skipping was all over the place. It blocked some commercials, some played completely, and some commercials were cut but not completely. It seems as though if more than one tuner is being used commercial skip doesn’t work as well. I don’t think it’s a hardware limitation as I have a MacMini Server edition with an i7 and 16GB of RAM.

A 1 hour program approximately takes about 10 mins, depending cpu. If you have more than 1 program to process, it will take longer. If you start watching a completed recording the detection continues and when finished, you will see the status bar change with the commercial detection during playback.

That’s not answering his question/query at all. His issue is that commercial skipping completely failed when watching the same program he was recording.

I understand hes watching them while he is recording and states that detection failed. I have many Football games that I watched live while recording and all of them still process detection.
LeeFamily, Did you do a re-detect commercial on recordings. If not try that. If that doesn't work then the developers may be able to answer.

How do you force re-detection of commercials?

Goto your recordings tab and find the recording and click on the settings Icon

1 Like

Understood. BUT, your hardware, network and clients may be 100% different from his. So because it works for you with your setup, doesn’t mean it’ll work the same with his setup.

Commercial detection works while watching the program and will pop the commercial indexes in while you are watching, as described.

That doesn’t mean something didn’t go wrong. When you see something like this, just immediatly check the log to see if you can find any errors or funny messages that correlate with the issue.

Including them in the post is helpful.