Commercial detection - multiple simultaneous recordings

Joined in July 2022, and when recording football games this fall, the commercial detection is VERY good. The only hiccup is when there is a commercial, then a return to action that is VERY short and then another commercial. Like after x-point, commercial, kickoff, commercial. - those are usually easy to spot in video redo as the commercial block looks a bit wider than normal. - easy to fix , no issue at all

My QUESTION is,: On Saturday I recorded the conference championship games - I use HDHomerun prime. and there were always 2, sometimes 3 simultaneous recordings most of the time.

On Sunday, when it came time to edit in videoredo, i noticed that commercial breaks marks were missing in some instances, or were shifted off by 15-30 seconds, and basically I had to do the editing fully manual.

Does me having my commercial detection thread count at the max (7 threads) cause an issue? - It didn't during the regular season when it was 1 at a time. Would having it lower have been correct?

Simply the act of multiple recordings make this feature less reliable?

I notice if I go into each program, I see an option of "re-detect commercials" i did not do this, and my "a-ha" moment was yesterday, would this also create a videoredo capable project file like I was getting during the regular season?

Thank you for your time and consideration

Comskip isn't perfect. That happens. I also use VRD and just use the comskip markers as a reference point. I almost never see perfect ad detection in my recordings. One tip I can offer is set VRD to advance by IDR/I-frames. I have it mapped to <CTRL>-<RIGHT ARROW>. That allows me to quicly scrub through a recording until I see an ad start/end and then fine tune the markers.

Comskip jobs are queued and run one after the other. So multiple recordings at the same time doesn't matter. Setting the thread count to max just uses more CPU and speeds up the comskip process while a single queued comskip job is running.

Yes. Redetect commercials will create a new .vprj file

1 Like

Comskip isn't perfect. That happens. I also use VRD and just use the comskip markers as a reference point. I almost never see perfect ad detection in my recordings. One tip I can offer is set VRD to advance by IDR/I-frames. I have it mapped to <CTRL>-<RIGHT ARROW> . That allows me to quicly scrub through a recording until I see an ad start/end and then fine tune the markers.

love this, will try it out - I hope VRD keeps on going - am fearful it will brick one day

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.