Commercial Detection on HGTV - 2nd commercial break

My spouse watches a lot of HGTV shows, and it seems for a lot of shows on this channel that comskip misinterprets the second commercial break.. I was wondering if anyone might have some tips to better detect this second commercial break without resorting to manually reviewing the file. Here are some examples of HGTV shows with incorrect second commercial breaks circled in green.

Upon further investigation, this behavior appears to be an artifact of Channels DVR Commercial Detection and not Comskip. When I redetect commercials with Comskip, I get better results. I searched the forum but did not see a way (like a curl command) to disable the Channels DVR Commercial detection method, but keep the Comskip method active.

Are you saying that those parts in the circle should be part of the show or should be an ad?

Those segments circled should be ads and therefore skipped.

Could you grab the recording log from Logs/recordings/[recording-id]/recording.log and email it to [email protected] with the screenshot of where it should have the commercial break? We may be able to figure out what it’s detecting incorrectly.

1 Like

Thanks for taking a look at this. I emailed a zip file of the recording logs for the three shows that are screenshot in this thread to [email protected]. If you need any more data, let me know.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.