Commercial skip not working on NFL games

Hi all:

I have channels largely to record sports, but I also record the NBC Nightly News as sort of a “test show”. Commercial skip works as expected for the news.

This is the first week of the season and I’m now watching the recorded morning games. Commercial skip is not working at all. I started watching one morning game before the recording finished, so I thought maybe the detection is triggered when the recording is completed. But I switched to another game that had finished recording and detection did not work on that game either.

Is this expected? Does commercial detection not work for sports? Is there an explainer on how commercial detection works?

You can check the DVR Activity section, maybe its still working on it. There's also a Commercial Detection section on the DVR web UI settings page which shows how many detection jobs are queued up.

Ah yes. This is suuuuper slow. By the time I got to the end of the first game, the commercials were finally detected. Now it’s working on the second game (which was recorded concurrently).

There is an option for detection threads that’s set to 1 but when I click on it, I don’t see an option to increase it beyond one. The “i” info icon shows a refreshing logo for a second but other than that nothing changes. Is there a way to edit it, and is setting it to 3 or 4 too much for a DS220+?

Finally, does this do detection only after a recording is completed, or can it do detection while a show is being recorded?

It only has a dual core processor, so one thread is the max for your nas. If you had 4 cores you would be able to choose up to 3 threads. And yes a 3 hour football recording using only 1 thread is going to take a while.

Yes

Not unless you want to play around with comskip.ini overrides

I am down to try if people are successfully doing this.

The problem is Channels DVR doesn't run comskip until the recording is finished.
You would need to change the comskip.ini to process live and find a way to run comskip while the recording is happening.

You should look at a few threads on the forum and post to one of them asking how to do it.

Ah, makes sense I guess. These kinds of considerations aren’t really the kind that I’m likely to learn from research in advance. Since I’m just starting out with Channels and the DS220+ Is brand new (yet outside of the 30-day return window) and since it’s now in football season, I’m not to spring for a beefier DVR server to upgrade my commercial skip detection.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.