Computer off

I switched to the dvr app a few weeks ago from the regular channels app. I am pretty sure the old one dis not required the computer to be on ( there was no server installed)

But for the first time this morning, I got an error from apple tv that the server could not be found. The computer was shutdown. I understand that I need the computer for the recordings, but for live TV, could the app still connect directly to the HDHomeRun?

The point of the Channels DVR app is to give a free client to those paying for the DVR service. If it can’t find the DVR, it can’t “License” the client.

If you have already paid for the standard app, you should use that app, and enjoy live direct from the HDHRs. The functionality of both are the same, except for the DVR requirement.

I got refunded the original app after 1-2 after I realised that I needed the other app for dvr uses. I still think that if I am paying per month, I should be able to use the service without computer on 24/24.

If an active DVR isn't running, how would you expect the app to know you're a DVR subscriber?

It could cache that information with an age-off of lets just say 5 days. It would just need to connect to your DVR once every 5 days.

Just like plex, netflix or any subscription based app does. Enter login and password.