Comskip schedule time

Would like to see the ability to have com skip be run only at certain times. Right now it runs immediately following a recording. I would like to have it do its recordings during the day and queue them up to run com skip during the middle of the night where I don’t care if the NAS is getting hammered with CPU usage. Just a thought!

In our household, preference is to have comskip run immediately. Our standard use case is to playback all show recordings from same day. Obviously, we are an impatient bunch :grin:.

On an older mac mini, we haven’t experienced any CPU problems interfering with concurrent recordings running simultaneously with comskip and playback. However, we do only have a 3 tuner prime. Others may have problems?

There have also been some requests to start comskip as soon as the recording starts, so the commercials are already marked by the time it ends.

This week’s builds had some comskip issues which were causing a lot of extra CPU usage, but those issues have been fixed with tonight’s update.

1 Like

Yea I have been experimenting with running channels DVR on both a PI and a Synology (lower end that can’t transode). So I’m kind of limited on CPU in both cases. I just worry that running comskip, with another recording going, and serving up a plex movie would possibly be too much.

Yeah, this is where it gets hard. I spend the evening hours with my kids and the DVR records and comskips as fast as possible. Then @9:30, my shows are ready to go (except the last that will finish while I watch the others). I overpaid to get the performance, but I can see the use case for using a lower end CPU to keep the cost down and setting comskip to run overnight if the CPU doesn’t meet a specific threshold, or if it was toggled. I just wonder how big of a problem it will be in another year.

I understand your concerns now, as Plex can really be resource intensive on a server as it doesn’t utilize client capabilities …however, only way to know for sure is to test.

We use ATV4 apps (not Plex) for playback, hence the transcode load is on ATV4 client and not the server.

I would love to have com skip run “live”. I often watch a show that’s currently recording with some buffer ahead so that I can skip commercials. The only downside to this is that the commercials aren’t marked until the end.

2 Likes

Totally agree on this! Real-time comskip and Dual Buffers are my two biggest wishlist items currently.

1 Like