I have both the beta and release version on the Apple TV set to automatically skip commercials, but neither one is doing it.
With the videos not playing - Most likely not the permissions. Read permission is set for user, group, and all. The difference between the new recordings, made on the newer Linux DVR, is that they do not have the user 'x' flag set. But there's more to it than that.
(In this case, "new" refers to either the new Linux install of Channels or a new video recorded by Channels on the Linux computer. "Old" refers to the previous install of Channels on my MacMini or files recorded on the MacMini and then copied over to the Linux instance of Channels.)
At this point, I'm tempted to classify this in the nightmarish "intermittent problem" category.
Note that before I did this, I had turned Bonjour off for the old install on the MacMini and used the auth/refresh link you gave me. I saw the new Linux system listed on my account and the old one was gone.
- I tried playing one of the new files in Chrome and it played.
- I tried a few other new files in the Chrome player and they played okay.
- Since comskip wasn't working on the web player (which I now know is normal), I tried it in the beta on Apple TV. I played a new file and it wouldn't play. I tried multiple new files and none would play. I tried an old file and it played.
- Since the old file played, I went back and tried some new files. They played. No commercial skipping.
- I went back and forth between the beta and release version, trying new files. The new files played without a problem. Even though comskip was on automatic for both viewers, it didn't work in either one.
NOTE: At this point, the new files were playing. I had not altered them, but they were now playing, but comskip wasn't working. I want to be clear that, by this point, new files WERE playing.
- I posted about this, then watched an old file on the beta. (Old file but it's on the new machine.) It was a 30 minute episode of Adam 12. It finishes and won't play the next episode. So I go to another new file and try it. It won't play. The old Adam 12 file that didn't play before won't play. Even the old Adam 12 file that I had already watched would no longer play.
- I read your response, so I looked over the directories, using "ls -l" and found the new files and old files only had one difference in permissions: The new files did not have the 'x' flag on for the user. All had the 'r' flag on for user, group, and all, and the 'w' flag on for the user. Old files had the 'x' for user set. (So old files had rwxr--r-- and new files had rw-r--r--.)
- I used chmod to change all the video files (but not the directories or any other files) to rwxr--r--. I went into the beta version on Apple TV to play them. They wouldn't play. No files would play.
- I am frustrated and want to think, so I take a break to drive to the 7/11 and grave some greasy food. I get back, about 15-20 minutes later, and try to play something in Channels. Nothing plays. Both have on the screen:
"Welcome to Channels DVR Your DVR is not quite set up yet. Visit this URL in your browser to complete it." And, of course, it has the IP address of my Linux system with the new install and the 8089 port. I go back to that page in Chrome. It comes up okay, no problems. I can't see what I need to change that's become undone.
I doubt this is a permissions problem, since changing permissions didn't matter. I do wonder if some of this intermittent failure and things taking time to show up or go away might have to do with propagation issues and whether the Apple TV viewers were going to the old machine for a while, then had problems with the new one.