Constant buffer pause/stuttering while watching live TV

Recently started to experience excessive pauses while trying to watch TV on my Apple TV 4k 2021 device. I have other andriod devices working fine. Currently using a Nvidia Shield TV as my server (wireless) and other devices connected over internet (wireless)

Please help.

1 Like

This wouldn't happen to be something you are recording and watching at the same time and you catch up to the recording in real time? Sorry just not enough to go by with your post.

Nope happy to provide more information but all im doing is launching the application and trying to watch tv

1 Like

Are we talking TVE or Antenna?

1 Like

Tve

you are probably saturating your wireless network. Start by wiring your server.

You can run a speed test to the server from the client yet as your experiencing an intermittent issue, it may not show up. If your home is close to others, there wireless network could be using some of the bandwidth and there are other forms of interference. Wireless is for convivence, wired is for performance and reliability.

I don't know if your running the beta version or not. But I had Always use HLS Streaming On in the Debug section. I had all kinds of weird pauses while watching tv. I ended up turning that off and smooth as butter again. But that is if you are using the beta version and have that setting turned on.

One other thing might have to do with the distance from your wifi router. If you are using 5G you might want to see if you can switch it to 2.4g as the signal can send much further but of course slower.

Unfortunately my modem and router is in the basement which makes it challenging. It seems to me like it could be network related for example nvidia shield server is on the second floor and runs fine while using TVE. My apple tv and fire tv is on the 1st floor but runs into issues. Any thoughts?

Here is my test to server

DL: 9 mbs
Latency: 4.80 ms
Jitter: 4.08

That is not good at all. You need to fix your network. You should be shooting for 300-400 download to have a decent experience over WiFi not 9.

Yup kinda wondered if it was a distance issue. You could always run a wire to the other floor. Hook up a hub or use another router where you can switch it to access point mode (AKA AP Mode). Most ASUS routers allow you to do that. My cable modem is in a bedroom with a switch but where I use my phones and what not the most is the living room. So that is where I have my Asus router setup in AP Mode. Best wireless setup I have ever had.

You definitely should hardwire. I know it's a challenge and inconvenient but it will serve you well in the long run. At its best wifi is only half duplex. It is not really what you want to run a server on. Especially if your signal is marginal. Some will call me a wifi hater but I love wifi. I have a 3300sq ft home with 5APs. Most of the AP's are 5ghz only and I get 500mbit+ speeds anywhere in the house. But.... I also have the house wired for cat5e and use that whenever I can. Especially for anything running a server.

You could look into moca if you can't run ethernet that would be the next best thing. Anyway you slice it 9mbit is abysmal.

Before you go to the trouble or expense of wiring your home, there are a few things you can try. First off, think of a router as a light and anything mettle or masonry things that will block the light. Look at your client positions related to the router. There may be something obvious that's blocking the light (signal). Also, an access point (router) is usually best to be above or level with the clients. With this knowledge see if you can find a better location in your basement for the router. Also experiment with placing the router higher.

You may be able to get the router to the first floor by running an ethernet cable next to a pipe used for heating, water, or even a drain. If running next to a hot pipe use some pipe insulation or cable tie a piece of wood there to separate the wire from the pipe to avoid melting the sheath and/or insulation.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. We can help you through this

Also buy some long ethernet cables and string them through the house as a test. If it resolves your issue then you know what to work toward. If you have rg6 cable run to every room then moca may work fine for you as well.

1 Like

Thanks all for the help with this, the wired connection resolved my issues!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.