Constant buffering on Fox News channel

TVE is what i use.

I haven't tried with surround sound enabled because I can't with OTA on SD channels. TVE is all stereo so that's an odd one.

1 Like

I am using TVE and also have had my sound set to stereo when the issue happens.

Based on what I'm seeing so far, it would appear to be caused by the hardware decoder because my stream with the software decoder hasn't had any issues so far.

This is great news. Can you change the Streaming Quality back to Original and see if you also get good results? It looks like your issue was just due to problems you ran into with the hardward decoder on your playback device.

I was able to fix transcoding by removing the beta and installing the latest release.

So right now you have the Channels app set to 1080p 8mbps and the transcoding in the DVR settings set to Software and do you have HLS On or Off?

What is your player? Shield?

I had set the Channels app on my Shield to 1080p 8mbps in the DVR settings, software encoder, and surround sound is off.

I just started a new streaming session with original quality as the only change and will report back after it's been running for a couple hours.

1 Like

I don't have that option to change the decoder on my Sony.

1 Like

Update- my FNC stream is still playing since I kicked it off over an hour ago.

Yea I'm glad for you.
I'm currently testing the App version 2.1.20 non-beta release and it has been an hour so far and I've only had multiple minor blips, no major buffering like I was having with the Beta release.

@eric if using the software decoder is a workaround, will there be any plans to resolve the issue with the hardware decoder?

I have used the recent ish beta ATV apps, and too had noticed more issues like that.
I have been using the 2.1.20 stable app for some time now. I think i even posted once in some thread, that i had less issue over all on stable app.

edit: i switched from using beta ATV app cause priorities changed with the recent pandemic. I am not interested in bleeding edge, i need stable and reliable. Since the Live TV is now in much use cause everyone in my household is stuck at home and using it for entertainment and news updates. Unless i run into a issue that direct requires update to a beta app or pre-release dvr sever.....i see no need for using it atm.

Most likely not. The software decoder means it can be replaced/modified/changed/fixed by a software update. Hardware decoder means it is done by a separate chip in the client device, and cannot be changed by outside software. (A firmware update from your manufacturer may fix the hardware decoder, but it is otherwise outside of a developer's control.)

Android devices that do not give the user a choice between the hardware/software decoder are using the hardware decoder, because the device is not really powerful enough to handle software decoding and present a decent user experience.

(This has always been the problem with smart TVs. They are often underpowered for the software they run, and rarely get beneficial software updates, and even more rarely firmware updates. A consumer is almost always better off purchasing a separate device and using the TV as solely a dumb display.)

1 Like

no. cause devs already stated that it (at least for one user case point) it is the Sony TV and its implementation of the OS and its hardware decode. that are not right. incompatible....who knows. unless somone buys them a Sony tv that has the issue they can more test on, they have nothing more to go on really....i gather.

Certain devices just don't play well with Channels...period.
They also do not recommend the use of the Tube 2019 Shield, as it uses 32bit OS.
( i use it as a Client device just fine though in my living room) it wont work as a server.

I'm not using a Sony TV. I'm using a Shield as mentioned in my posts.

i think confusing issues here.....and with other user that is using Sony TV.

ur kinda stuck in the middle of the back and forth it seems.

There is nothing wrong with the hardware decoder on Shield (far as I know) . that comment is for Sony TVs user and a separate thing.

u have 2 separate issue and separate environments going on here i think.

I use Shield hardware decoder fine on all but 2 OTA SD channnels(that i rarely watch)

Correct. This is entirely up to Nvidia to fix, and based on our previous conversations with them it's not possible because there's a bug in the actual hardware chip design.

1 Like

@tmm1 I'm confused on what the bug is and why this problem doesn't affect every Nvidia shield user. Can you share more details?

All we can see from your logs is that the hardware video decoder stops sending video frames all of a sudden. We have no other visibility into how nvidia's code for decoding works.

If I initiate a stream via the FNC Android app, should I expect the same behavior where the hardware video decoder stops sending video frames?

My goal is to help improve Channels and if you tell me there's nothing that can be done to resolve the issue when using the hardware decoder, I'll use the software decoder. If this is something you feel like chasing, I'm open to continue testing.

It's best if you use the Software decoder. That's why that option is there, because some TV feeds cause bugs in the nvidia decoder. Debugging further is not useful because we have no way to make improvements to the hardware decoder.