Continually have to reset network - Windows 10

So over the last few months I have had to reset the network settings in Windows 10 at least once every few weeks. The only way I know I have to do that is that I lose channels from TVE providers.

I do not believe it's my windows installation as the only thing I have running on it is Channels, Filebot, MCEBuddy and Teracopy.

I can hit my internal network and I can record channels from Locast. However, I lose access to the rest of the outside world and to the TVE providers. All my other machines on the network have zero issue (I presently run 5 other servers and have 8 other pc's, 4 gaming systems and 9 streaming devices that all hit the internet).

As soon as I reset network settings, it resolves the issue. Is anyone else experiencing this? I'm not opposed to wiping and starting over (of course saving my db) but if I can avoid it, I'd prefer that.

Hello! Lose access to the outside world imply you've lost internet on that computer, correct? Have you tried different device drivers?

Go into the device manager and remove your network adapters (don't check the box to uninstall the driver) and reboot. Let windows reinstall whatever drivers it has handy. See if it happens again. If so, check for driver updates, or alternate drivers in windows update (in the 'optional updates').

If it continues, there are plenty of things you can do via a command prompt like resetting the winsock and tcp / ip stuff, etc, but I would think the driver reinstallation would do that?

I’ve done most of that already. Even went so far as to install a new nic. It has to be something with channels. I’m just not sure what. I’ve poured through the logs and can’t find anything definitive.

Windows has some of the most craptacular default network settings, and will sometimes change them on its own after restarts or updates because it thinks it knows better.

If you don't know what the problem actually is, how can you be certain Channels is the cause?

1 Like

That’s not entirely true. I know it has to be channels because I’m a 26 year windows/server admin. I’ve checked network settings, the entire network stack and nothing on it changes. I have an identical machine that I just built an exact duplicate of my channels box. Within a few days it too needed to have the network settings reset.

The common denominator, Channels.

Is Channels running as administrator? Do you thinking it's changing your network settings?

Given the fact you said it records Locast, I would think firewall, ad-blocker or DNS issue.
If it can access Locast it has Internet access, right?

Also, what do you mean when you say you lose access to and lose channels from TVE providers?
Meaning some of your TVE channels no longer stream in Channels?

It is running as an administrator. It’s really odd. It’s as though the network stack gets corrupted. On my test machine to run comparisons, as soon as I stopped channels from running, the network stack stayed intact. It’s a really odd issue, I know.

Now here’s an interesting turn of events. If I run the “fix network settings” on the channels task icon, it clears it up. The funny thing is, I don’t run an antenna tuner anymore. I do everything through TVE. So the need to “fix” the network settings for the HDHomeRun to function properly, really doesn’t need to be a concern.

But on my test box, without making that change…after uninstalling channels, all network issues were cleared up.

So I thought it could be dns as well, but it’s the same dns settings on all other devices in the house.

And yeah Locast has no issues playing/streaming/recording. However other TVE providers such as FuboTV, xfinity, Directv cannot be reached. They just sit spinning. But as soon as I reset the network settings in windows 10…they all work. It’s really odd.

If you could try to submit diagnostics when it happens, perhaps the devs can see something (assuming it sends them)
DVR web UI Support>Troubleshooting

Can you describe what exactly happens when things are broken? Are there errors? What are the exact error messages?

There are no error messages that I have seen, I get no access to the TVE channels for my tv providers nor access to the internet. But the funny thing is that Locast channels show up.

So you try to watch a TVE channel, what happens?

They just spin like they try to load and nothing ever comes up.

What is shown in the DVR web ui logs when you attempt to tune?

when it happens, try pinging 8.8.8.8, then try pinging yahoo.com.

This will tell you if it is a dns isue or not for sure. if 8.8.8.8 responds, but yahoo.com doesn't, then dns is not working.

Edit: if neither works, then also try pinging your default gateway.

So I have figured out what the issue is. Ethernet Flow Control. As soon as Channels turns it off, i lose all access to the outside world.

Flow Control is enabled on 1 ethernet interfaces.

Ethernet Flow Control is an outdated technology that causes communication problems between the DVR and HDHomeRun, resulting in corrupted recordings.

1. Find the Channels DVR icon in the Windows System Tray
  2. Right click the system tray icon
  3. Click Fix Ethernet Settings in the menu
  4. Click Yes in the User Access Controldialog

That's the note at the top of the settings page. I turned it off, lose connection to the outside world, turn it back on and voila everything works.

Can anyone explain what the issue would be with recordings and the HDHomeRun devices?

When you say “outside world” are you referring to the internet specifically or all network connectivity?

There was a problem specifically with the Apple TV HD which only has a 100mbps port. When it tried to talk to a DVR Windows server it would cause problems.

If you don't have an Apple TV HD or aren't having issues, you could leave flow control enabled and ignore the warning.

Nope all my AppleTV’s are the 4K with a 1GB network port. Thanks for the update!