Cox and CableCARD

I have been using Channels DVR with a Cox CableCARD in an HDHomerun. It has worked spectacularly well for me.

In April I started receiving emails from Cox about a "software" upgrade that would require me to upgrade my equipment or lose access to Cox Video services on July 24th. Turns out that in Phoenix, the "software" upgrade is the removal of CableCARD support with Cox!

The only option Cox will give me is to "upgrade" to the Contour2 box.

Does anyone use or know how to use Channels with a Cox Contour2 tuner?

Two options come to mind, both involve using an HDMI encoder.

First, if the Cox Contour app supports deep links, you could use a streaming stick with either the ah4c or ADBTuner project to capture the stream.

Or second, if the Contour box supports IP channel changes, I could put something together for you using ah4c.

Each virtual tuner would require one streaming stick or Contour box as a source depending on the solution used.

1 Like

The basic cable channels delpending on subscription are supported through TVE.
Channelslike CNN, ESPN, TRUTV Discovery etc are on TVE.
I was never able to use my friends cable account to see if the contour app from cox supports deep linking.
The two best services that support deep linking are YTTV and Philo.

Even if the Contour doesn't support deeplinks, you could use ah4c/adbtuner on the apps that has the channels you want to watch/record (eg. NBC (NBC-owned channels), MSG+ (MSG), YES (YES), etc.)

I think you have to take a look at the apk to be sure that it does support deeplinks...

I have been playing with an apple tv 4k running the cox contour app with an hdmi capture device the past several weeks. The contour app has been so unreliable with video freezes and or audio drop outs that Ive abandoned that approach of using it as a tuner for channels, and am now using individual TVE channel apps like the NBC app, syfy app, etc.

If you do decide to use the countour app, I would first test it as a stand alone service to see if you also observe the same video freezes before trying to use an hdmi capture device. Its infrequent enough to drive you nuts when trying to use channels to record or time shift something. It can go several hours without an issue, but then the video locks up in the app while audio continues.
I took the hdmi encoder completely out of the equation and observed the app itself hanging.

It took a lot of debug time and troubleshooting before I was able to narrow it down to the app itself.

Also if you google ”cox contour video freezes” , you will also find lots of complaints from cox customers using the contour box itself with similar issues.

So far the discrete TVE apps are looking much more reliable for me with no freezes.

Your milage may vary, but just wanted to potentially save you a lot of headaches before you decide to put something together.

Im not saying that you will get the same freezes that I observed - but it may be a good idea to run the app or contour box for a week or so and if you dont observe any freezes then move on to the next steps if you decide to go that route.

1 Like

I have Cox and Contour 2 DVR box, but I am not familiar with the CableCard.
The Contour 2 Box has voice capabilities and allows exiting to Apps, whiich I never use, just use the App!!
The Contour 2 box is NOT a "Whole Home DVR", you can only watch recordings in that room on that box.
There is no interface between Channels DVR and the Cox box.
I use ONN($20) and Firestick streaming devices with Channels DVR and Cox Source on all my other tv's for watching/recording, it works great.
With the Cox app on your phone you can cast ALL your Cox channels to ONN and ROKU devices,no recording with Casting.
I have not been able to cast to FIresticks due to lack of Chromecast on Firesticks.
Almost all the Cox channels come in via TVE in Channels DVR but NOT all,
Weather channel, Locals(use HDHR), real American Family and others do not have TVE