Crash during recording playback

Anyone else experience similar issues? I have a J4105 mini PC with 2 external HDDs for storage running Ubuntu 20.

About every other week I'll be watching a TV show recording and some time during playback it freezes and spins indefinitely. If I back out and try to resume it says playback failed. If I try and access the server from chrome, nothing comes up. The only fix is to force power down the mini PC and boot it up again. Then everything returns to normal.

Is it a faulty HDD or the mini PC? Would switching to a rpi4 fix it? It's quite annoying. I hoped upgrading from Ubuntu 18 to 20 would fix it but no luck. Doesn't seem to matter if it's TVE or hdhomerun source. Thanks

Click Support > Submit Diagnostics when it happens and email support so we can have a closer look.

From the client? Because the server is totally locked up

You can do it from the server after fixing it. Or do it now and we'll check the older logs if you remember the date/time of the last issue.

Thanks submitted. It was around 930p mountain time. We were halfway through Chicago Fire

When the system locks up, are you able to SSH or connect to the OS at all?

Seems to me like a kernel panic or something. Our diagnostics don't show anything useful so you would have to check dmesg and other Ubuntu logs to see what's going on.

Ill have to try it next time. All I know is that nothing happens when I try and pull up the server from a web browser.

Freezes like this are often caused by overheating hardware. When it happens I would suggest checking to see if the OC feels abnormally warm. If so, make sure it hasn’t gotten dusty, any and all fans are working, and all air intakes have plenty of clearance.