Custom Playlists for Locally Stored Content?

Hello.
I have an extensive Plex library where I have digitized all the media I have acquired over the years and have been using Plex for accessing that content. Plex doesnt support TV everywhere or have a DVR function so, I have just been using both platforms. Channels for TV/DVR, Plex for watching my local content.

I just recently discovered you can import your local Movie and TV show content into Channels but one thing I am not seeing is how to create a playlist. I own many full series of shows and many of them have a few holiday episodes in each season. In Plex, I have created a playlist where I can add each holiday episode in a given series so that I can call up the playlist and play only the episodes I have put in the list. At first, I thought “collections” was the equivalent but there doesn’t seem to be a way to add individual episodes to a collection. It seems to add the entire series to a collection.

So my request is, please allow a way to create custom playlists for my content that I have stored locally for playback.

You are correct. While we have Collections, which are groups of movies or tv shows, we don’t have playlists, lists of episodes.

We have plans to rectify that.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply. Please implement this soon!

As a workaround, I tried a couple different things.
First, I created a new TV folder called TV Holiday. Copied the show and added “holiday” to the show title then copied its season folders and the holiday episodes within each over. Then I added the new folder as a source. Channels did add the content but it merged them into the same thumbnail in the UI. For example, if the holiday episode in season 3 was episode 9, there are now two episode 9’s within season 3. I had hoped it would create a separate instance of the show (ie…Mike & Molly AND Mike & Molly Holiday) but it didnt.

Next I tried favoriting the holiday episodes. That works as a way to have them grouped within the show level view. What doesnt work is if I start playing the favorites, it doesnt auto play the next episode in the favorites list. Instead, it plays the favorite episode that I started and when its over auto-plays the next episode in the season.

Have you considered creating a Virtual Channel for these? Perhaps adding a tag to the episodes and then use a Smart Rule to select episodes with that tag?

I think that would even update the Virtual Channel with new episodes as they are tagged.

1 Like

Playlists have just gone into beta