Data directories

just curious if there’s anything in the works to offer a bit more control over the data directories. i run channels in an lxc and i would really like to be able to have the database/app data, temp / stream segment data, and completed recordings data able to exist in separate paths.

1 Like

You can set a separate path for recordings ... The rest you can do with symlinks. The reason to keep it together is for easy restore or move.

totally get that. and can do with symlink.
was just curious if that functionality was on the roadmap as that’s a common configuration item with most other media server softwares.

Also, i’m having trouble finding in the docs…. the definition/description of the application directories structure/purposes to know how best to carve up the storage workload.

I run mine different I record to an SSD and move only recordings to USB mass storage when DVR is Idle Automatically.

I do not think they have that documented.

We would like to offer a setting to control where temp storage goes (currently the Streaming folder next to recordings)

2 Likes

tbh, if this was something that could be controlled via a well defined config file that would go a long way.
totally respect the countless additional nuances/considerations that have to be made on the UI side… especially with restore/migration scenarios.

Is the "Streaming" directory actually needed for a restore/move though? From what I have seen it can be deleted entirely and will repopulate as needed, at most you lose the current streaming cache. (you also lost the recording cache but I can't remember exactly what the purpose of that is and I believe it just falls back to the old method)

The Streaming directory is where the files for remote access are stored. Which are temporary.... Also, if transcoding is needed.

Yes but there is also a cache for recordings, still none of this is necessary for a restore/move task, at worst the DVR will have to re-encode any recordings that are played back by a remote client...

Some Prefer the Streaming Directory to be on an SSD separate from the recordings Disk. I record to an SSD and move to mass storage when DVR is idle so the Streaming Directory is not a problem for me.

100% understood, I may have been the first to request it many years ago, my point is that the restore/move should in no way hinder this being a feature since there is no issue in discarding the "Streaming" directory when moving the DVR.

The streaming indexes are also stored there, which are generally only created when a recording is happening or an import comes in. If you deleted that folder, you would miss out on some streaming optimizations unless you manually run Regenerate Streaming Index on each recording.

1 Like

I did not know that ... I clean mine up nightly. How often if ever is it cleaned ?

Never "cleaned".
They are only deleted when the recording is deleted (trashed).

1 Like

Thanks, will no longer clean it.

Correct that, it's actually only the Streaming/m3u8/ folders that get removed when a library item is deleted.

The other folders under Streaming/ get "cleaned" periodically.

If you want to clear some space, you can delete the contents of Logs/recording/
Those are the recording "debug" logs and are quite large for TVE/M3U recordings.
Of course if you find you had a problem with one of those recordings and the devs request that debug log, well you're SOL then.

Between my 4 DVR's I have a total of 1891 folders containing 59 GB in Logs/recording

I noticed the ch**** get cleaned up even after a client crash so I will just leave it alone.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.