Delay in launching some UK channels

Am a recent convert to the Channels app and I love it. One question, however. Some channels take about 7 or 8 seconds to open, whilst others take only about 2 seconds (I’ve never experienced the “less than a second” load time I’ve seen mentioned elsewhere). The Horror Channel is one such example. It is an SD channel and takes up to 10 seconds to load (but usually about 7). All my HD channels launch quickly (about 2 seconds)

My Apple TV is hard wired via Ethernet and I have reliable, fast 72mbps fibre broadband from BT. My HDHomeRun is plugged into an external rooftop Ariel with a powered signal booster.

I can absolutely live with the slight delay in loading certain channels but was just wondering if there is anything I could do to reduce the longer lags with some of the channels?

Well, I’m not in the UK, but I do have the sub 2 second tuning on all channels. I would ensure that your running the latest HDHR firmware. Http://my.hdhomerun.com will show an update if available for your devices.

Also ensure that you have good cables and gigabit switch. There have been troubles with the free cables that come with the gear, or switches.

If your HDHR and Applet TV path is cabled through the same router as the internet, you can reboot it and check its firmware as well.

Since the bandwidth requirement is higher for these streams than other streaming apps or browsing, a network problem may be masked.

For live tv, the internet speed shouldn’t matter if you already have your show data on screen.

Can you capture 20s sample from your hdhomerun and email to [email protected].

Say your tuner is 10.0.0.5 and an example channel is 745, visit this URL in Chrome to download a 20s sample:
http://10.0.0.5:5004/auto/v745?duration=20