Delay Playing MPEG-TS m3u (8 seconds)

@tmm1

I've just done exactly the same! I did it before from the client but, as Gareth says, no reference number appears like it does on the server, so I have no way of referring you to it.

If the timing helps, I've literally just done it in the last few minutes (around 9.25 to 9.30 GMT) and was switching between my Ch 12 which is Quest HD from the Vu feed (takes 8 or 9 seconds) and then back to my Ch 13 which is E4 from my HDHR feed (virtually instant, maybe 1 second delay)

Don't fall into that that trap - I'm very much a Google it and copy and paste man! :grin:

When you submit diagnostics from the client, the alphanumeric number will appear in the server logs. In the dvr web ui under support > logs

1 Like

@Rice Thanks very much for the tip.

@tmm1 The link for my client diagnostics is a2f2701e-c29f-403f-bf52-69bb1119a90c

Aman: Diagnostics number: c9bf3b5c-03ed-402b-b16f-cdcb14898105

Thanks Rice.

I doubt relevant, but received "Could not find file: channels-tailscale.log" message just prior to this (I don't have Tailscale enabled)

@tmm1 Hi Aman. Did either my or Gareth's client diagnostics help identify this issue?

Anything else I can do to help get to the bottom of it?

Geoff

Hi Aman.

I'm sorry to keep nagging about this but I am very keen to sort out a usable Satellite feed into Channels. If this isn't going to be able to work from my existing Vu, then I need to look at alternative SAT TO IP devices. That looks likely to be expensive, so I don't want to go down that route if the slow channel change issue with the Vu is likely fixable.

I'd be very grateful for your thoughts on this.

Thanks

Geoff

I see the issue in both diagnostics. We should be able to shave off a few seconds atleast but it will take me some time to investigate and develop a fix.

1 Like

This link has expired. Could you please upload to Dropbox

Thanks very much for the update Aman, it is much appreciated and sounds hopeful. Would the issue you could see explain why sometimes I get audio but no picture?

I've just uploaded a 38 second recording of The Chase from an HD stream from my Vu to the DropBox link you posted.

1 Like

If you could upload four more examples from various channels or during different times of day it will give me some more data to work with.

Will do.

I've uploaded a couple more. Another HD channel Quest HD Woodland Workshop which worked OK and then I tried an SD channel Now 70s Mark Goodiers No 1s of the 70s which failed to load picture or audio and the spinner on the timeline just kept going. I recorded it anyway so maybe there are some clues in that file. I'll do a few more later to give some more data.

Edit I've just added a second recording from the Mark Goodiers No 1s of the 70s program when it did work OK.

Sorry about the content and don't judge me, it was just a random recording!!! :rofl:

Another file uploaded HD channel ITV SW HD - ITV News Westcountry.

This one loaded audio but no picture so I also took a Diagnostic log from the Client just after doing the recording in case that helps

74542dfb-ff35-4034-9f71-34e34a9d464d

Newsnight on BBC News uploaded.

Thank you for putting some dev effort into this, especially given there are only two voices so far. Much appreciated.

ITV News (HD) also uploaded.

1 Like

I will be poking around with DVBInspector (Releases · EricBerendsen/dvbinspector · GitHub), but at first glance the mpegts streams are not quite right. There are multiple PAT and no PMT at all. (EDIT: Going to ignore the one that seems to be a bad tune. The others are more sane..)

Is there any type of firmware upgrade available for the VU+ device?

Please try the latest beta apps and re-submit diagnostics from them.

Updated Android client to 2.29.238 and then channel hopped through 5 of my Vu Sat channels.

Submitted diagnostics

29fd44c0-18fc-4299-9d0e-c2c5cfb1e75a

I don't know if you were expecting any improvements in the beta or if you have just added more diagnostics, but I would say the channel change time was much the same as before. I also still had the odd channel that won't load fully, either giving audio with no picture, or nothing at all. It doesn't seem to be related to a specific channel as a couple of minutes later when channel hopping back down the list the same channel that was previously an issue will then load fine.

The firmware I have on the Vu is "Openvix" which is a long standing open source system for multiple "Enigma2" family of satellite boxes.

My Openvix version isn't the absolute latest available (maybe 6 months and 1 version out of date) but I've loaded the exact same M3U file from it as I used for the Custom Channel on Channels into VLC and that channel hops fine always within a second or two.

I can update OpenVix to the latest if you think it might help but as SWMBO is using that as the main TV while I "tinker" around with Channels, it comes with a risk to my health!

Hi Aman. I’m away from home until Saturday, so please bear with me. However, my config appears to be the same as Geoff’s: VU+ / Enigma2 using openvix (I am on the latest firmware, first thing I did when bought it a few weeks ago). KR Gareth