Dell Inspiron i3050 Mini PC

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N9MVL8S?tag=channels04-20

I picked one of these refurbs to test windows support, and it works quite well. Supports hardware transcoding and runs the DVR no problem.

It's got an older generation intel processor, and only dual core. But for the price, it's a great deal. Very small and compact as well.

How do you think it will perform once you add the feature to remove commercials and export to say plex? (Like MCEbuddy)?

Thanks again!
-Tony

Any estimates on how quickly commercial detection works on a 2 hr movie?

Very interesting. I know you’re testing for Windows compatibilty. But would something like FreeNAS be a good solution to wipe the OS and use something like that?

Looks like 8 minutes for a 1hr show:

2017/02/02 18:05:06 [DVR] Running commercial detection on file 4 (TV\Family Feud\2017-02-02-1400 Family Feud 2015-10-22 S17E47.mpg)
2017/02/02 18:13:17 [DVR] Commercial detection finished with 10 markers.

On FreeBSD we are not able to take advantage of hardware acceleration, so I would recommend Linux or Windows instead.

1 Like

I am considering building a NAS and was going to use freeBSD, but if there is going to be issues with transcoding I will hold off. I was planning on using an Intel Xeon E3-1240 v5 Skylake 3.5 GHZ LGA 1151 80w processor.

I’m not sure if freebsd supports hardware transcoding or not. We are also experiencing other bugs in FreeNAS at the moment, as the software is not able to auto-upgrade reliably.

Thanks, I am following that thread as well. I appreciate your efforts.

If you have plans for workflows like this. I’d suggest investing in much faster hardware. This will do it, but if you plan on doing a lot of transcoding in the background or rewriting mpeg files after each recording finishes, you’ll hit the limits of this thing pretty fast.

This is more of a great cheap piece of hardware to just run Channels DVR without a lot of hacks.

I’d probably suggest investing in something more robust and fast with more ram and have it be your permanent media server that can host Channels DVR and Plex for all your other movies etc that can run lots of stuff in the background. You can get a pretty solid Intel NUC setup with an i5 and drop 8gb of ram in it for around $500 or so. Something like that will give you the headroom to do these types of things and room to grow.

1 Like

How loud is this when running on full load? If in a media cabinet would it be noticeable?

Thanks!
-Tony

I currently have this setup and I am wondering if this is enough for commercial detection on multiple files at once?:

Linux Ubuntu
18.04 (kernel: 5.0.0-37-generic)

CPU: 8 cores / Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3615QM CPU @ 2.30GHz

RAM: 15.57 GB 93.5% free

HD: 10TB

Channels only processes one file at a time. You can use a custom configuration file to use more kernel threads for commercial detection, but it will still only process one file at a time.

Thank you for that information.