Detect Commercials needs more granularity

At the moment the Detect Commercials is a blanket setting under Basic Setup. However in the UK several major channels do not have commercials, like BBC1, BBC2 and so on. For those channels, after recording, it still does the Detect Commercials processing, which is pointless, wastes CPU and sometimes detects commercials which aren't there.

It would be nice to have the Detect Commercials tick box on the Record and/or Series Pass windows, similar to the Padding options. Then those recordings would ignore the commercials processing completely.

1 Like

Currently you can do this on a per-show basis after one episode has been recorded

For those not sure where to look:

• From the DVR's web UI: Recordings > Shows > All > Program > :gear: > Detect Commercials
  • From Apple clients: Library > Program > … > Show Options > Commercials

Thanks for the reply but isn't that rather too late at that stage as the commercials processing will already have taken place? I've just checked one of my recordings and clicking on ...More then ...More again gives me an option to Verify Commercials but nothing else.

Ideally I'd like to turn off Detect Commercials completely for any future recordings/passes so no processing takes place at all for them.

You can disable commercial detection from the DVR web UI: Settings > Basic Setup > Detect Commercials

The option to toggle commercial detection is a per-series option. Because of this, it is only available when viewing the page for a series, and not an individual recording.

Thank you but misses my point. It's only for BBC recordings that I wish to turn them off, not all future recordings from other channels.

Thanks for this: * From the DVR's web UI: Recordings > Shows > All > Program > :gear: > Detect Commercials

I'll experiment with it but still odd that I can't mark a recording for no commercials until after I've recorded an episode.

I agree. When I record PBS it scans for commercials when there aren't any.

Thanks for all the help, I've found out how to turn it off for a series now, just a little bit unintuitive and rather deeply embedded in the settings.

How?

It's in the post above:

So you have to have at least one recording to turn it off for future records. It's weird, I know. Why not just have the option to turn them off when you set up a recording/pass on the window that lets you choose the padding for the recording/pass?

Oh, OK, I just thought you did something different.