Device Record Location changes

Might be a feature, But can we have a option per device where they record their shows. So im not seeing barbie movies mix in with my GI-Joe Tv shows.. Have differ location on recording by device be great.

Try Settings -> Client -> Find your device -> click the cog and then modify the settings for just that client

will this only show up for that device? * havent test yet as step away from PC.

Ideal is the device that does the recording can only see that recording.. not other devices

1 Like

Devices don’t record anything.

Everything is recorded in Channels DVR Server. I think you’re confused about how it works.

i know how it work, just like to have each user and/or device to have their own space thats not viewable to others. I can set the recordings on and off, but the locations need to be changed.. So that way if mom and dad wants to watch GOT and record it.. want to do that but still want the kids to record as well but dont need them tot see GOT.. that is the request.

example. TV-Bedroom. Record to /media/MOMandDad
Tv-Kidsbedroom record to /media/Kids

Only way to do that (record to different directories) is by running two servers.

yea but defeats the purpose

Channels DVR Server records things. It doesn't care, nor does it even understand what client requested it to record. Beyond that, Series Passes are a property of Channels DVR Server and are completely independent of clients, so there's literally no capacity in how Channels is designed to do something like this.

Additionally, where something is saved on disk means nothing to Channels. Channels has a single library, period. Everything imported and recorded goes into the library. If what you want is literally 2 different libraries, you are going to have to run 2 different servers. That's not something that will ever change.

What it sounds like you really want, is a way to limit the content shown on a client. With a combination of features of Channels, and some management, you can do this.

Get creative with labels on TV Shows, and label filtering in Server Side Settings and you can accomplish this.

For example:

1. Add a label named parents to Game of Thrones and any other shows for just that audience (or even use a label named after the client you only want them to show on).
  2. Go to the Server Side Settings of a specific client, and add the Allow Content setting under Server Side Only.
  3. Add the parents label to the setting.

Now, ONLY content (movies, tv shows, collections, playlists) labeled with that label will show on that client.

1 Like

ok will give that a shot. so lable one for kids and they only see Kids that been on the device?

For the kids case, you really should just look at using Library Visibility and the Kids Section and Kids Only mode.

Marking content as being for kids, is a first class feature in Channels. You can set content to be just for kids, just the main library, or both. When you do this, content shows up just in the Kids Section, or just the main library, or both.

This is a great way to clean up your library so you don't have to sift through kids stuff, and the kids get their own section in the app. And additionally, you can lock the app to being Kids Only Mode so that whole app operates and shows just the content in the Kids Section.

Check out our extensive documentation on our features to learn how to get the most out of Channels.

2 Likes

I love that feature and use it on several clients, but I found the "Hide Content" works better for my use case. I created a few labels like "Mature" to hide content from kid's devices and "Mom's show" to hide Hallmark programs from my devices. :rofl:

Whenever I'm the one using a kid's device, it's easy to go into the server settings to temporarily turn off label filtering.