Differences between old and new transcoder

I am looking to transition from Plex to Channels and I’m having issues with remote streaming being unstable. I’ve tried several different endpoints (fire stick, apple tv, nvidia shield) and they seem to have issues. I did some reading which lead me to enable the old transcoder and now all the issues seem to be resolved. While I’m happy it’s working well now I’m guessing the old transcoder will at some point be fully deprecated and I don’t want to have this band-aid on until then. Most of my channels are provided by either HDHomerun Primes or a Flex 4K. I’d like to start investigating what’s up with my setup but I’m not sure where to start. Is there any literature on what’s needed to support the new transcoder or any current bugs.

If you could switch back to the new transcoder, try to stream from one of the devices that is having problems, and then submit diagnostics from the device, I'll be able to tell you more about what's going on.

To submit diagnostics, go to Settings -> Support -> Submit Diagnostic Logs from your device and let us know when it's been submitted so we can have a better idea of what was going on.

1 Like

just submitted the logs

Can you do a quick test for me where you watch a specific channel on the old transcoder for 2 minutes and then switch back to the new transcoder and try to watch the same channel?

Once you've done that, please submit diagnostics again.

I have completed this task and submitted the diagnostic logs

1 Like

Okay. I think I've identified an issue. I don't know exactly why it's happening, but I think I have a theory on how to work around this.

Can you tell me more about your NFS server? Can you check if it is running NTPD and if the time is correct?

Please press-and-hold on the Check For Updates button in the Settings page of your DVR. We have fixed this in the latest DVR pre-release.

I am running Truenas and the time/timezone appears correct. I will run the update and do some testing.

1 Like

The modified time on the filesystem we were seeing reported was about 25-30 seconds off from the correct time and I believe that was what was causing the issue. I look forward to hearing if this fixes it for you.

1 Like

I commonized to a single NTP source across all of infrastructure (probably long overdue) but with the fix the new transcoder has been working better. I am seeing a lot of this in the logs though.

[hls @ 0x791bdc0] Non-monotonous DTS in output stream 0:2; previous: 2369263806, current: 2369263395; changing to 2369263807. This may result in incorrect timestamps in the output file.

Those messages should be harmless.