Direct TV: Authn: 401 : Data not found

Figured out the authentication problem, Century Link's primary DNS servers weren't resolving "link.theplatform.com" - I changed DNS servers and now I can authenticate and watch the last missing channels. Thank you Century Link....

Chief

this still isn't working for me. just downloaded 2023.08.29.2116 and i'm still getting 401 errors when trying to authenticate to DTVS.

I don't see any recent diagnostics from you.

i haven't sent any yet, was just giving you a heads up that it's not working. i'll send them shortly, but i'm curious...i have my network set up to primarily use cloudflare and google DNS...both of which give errors. they're two of the most widely used DNS providers around, so if neither of them works who exactly are we supposed to use?

oh, quad9 doesn't work either. cool.

neither does opendns. this is kinda getting comical at this point.

finally got the checkmark to go green using frontier's DNS (which sucks overall which is the whole reason i have my network set up to use cloudflare/google/quad9 in the first place), but whatever.

Logs have been submitted as 74e9fd55-4fbf-48a4-98fb-dabcc666ddf0.

second set of logs after i re-ran the DTVS login attempt after switching to frontier DNS (still 401):

Logs have been submitted as 9e5058a7-ecec-4b0f-91a6-8c1e4dd3f005.

Install unbound and roll your own validating, recursive, caching DNS resolver.

Been doing it for years and it works great.

I run mine in a docker container and use the extra parameter --dns XX.XX.XXX.X --dns XX.XX.XXX.X to override my network DNS (cloudflare) and use my service providers DNS for Channels only.

1 Like

yeah, i did that with adguard. adguard home is the dns server for my network, but i set up my channels server as a client and overrode it that way.

i was more just laughing at the idea that literally the top four DNS servers i use were all being complained about as bad for TVE.

Install unbound and roll your own validating, recursive, caching DNS resolver.

Been doing it for years and it works great.

interesting thought. @AeroR1 what's the benefit to doing something like this over adguard home (which as i mentioned is what i'm already using on my network)? any tutorials out there on how to set it up?

adguard only forwards DNS queries to an upstream dns for answers, your isp or public dns in your case.

unbound lives in your network instead of using googles, cloudfare, etc.

i have two unbound servers locally, one in docker on synology and the other installed locally with my standalone Adguard ubuntu server.

the benefits? speed, security, no hijacks, leaks or redirects, i could go on. pi-hole has a nice explanation: unbound - Pi-hole documentation

i use this unbound container: Docker

1 Like

@crackers8199 We can hash out the details of DNS on a separate thread, but regarding the authn issue, can you try to delete the chromedata from the channels DVR data directory, restart the DVR and rescan the source?

I confirmed in your latest diagnostics that they do not contain any residual Direct TV settings in other cached locations that would make your installation exhibit different results than others, so this is the next guess as to where cached data could be causing you problems.

1 Like

sure, will give that a shot later today after work and report back.

basically, i'd be setting up unbound and having adguard hit that instead of google, quad9, cloudflare, etc...right?

Yep

I can follow up with more detail later, but short version: I've tried running my own recursive resolver on a Frontier connection and found that I was geo-located to worse POPs and got worse performance than just using the ones provided by Frontier.

2 Likes

Not a bad idea.
Easy enough to try if you're running Channels DVR in a container.

as i said, i've already achieved the same effect by setting up my channels server as a client in adguard and telling it what DNS servers to use for that client (in this case, i have it using frontier's since that's the only one that i could get the troubleshooting check to turn green with).

strangely enough, the whole reason i started using adguard to send me to other DNS than frontier's is because i had all kinds of speed issues when using frontier's DNS for the entire network.

I don't care that my checkmark isn't green for DNS.
1.0.0.1 w/DoH works for me (right now, he says).

normally i don't care either, but i figured it was important in the context of trying to figure out what's going on with my auth issues.

These warnings aren't universally applicable, and it's certainly the case that people can have successful installations using public cloud DNS providers. The reason for the warnings is that the majority of the time we've had people ask, "why are my TVE recordings being marked as interrupted?" it's because they're running into timeouts or HTTP errors that are more often than not resolved by making their DNS setup less fancy (just using the servers the ISP gave you).

The hard part of it is, there is nothing active you can do to "measure DNS" to decide if you are using a good setup or a bad one.

If you think it’s frontier connection messing up the tve scan. Try using your phone hotspot with cell data to authenticate the tve scan then switch back to isp.

1 Like