Disable auto start-over option

I have plenty of times I watch a show almost to the end maybe 10 or 5 minutes before the show finishes. Stop the show come back to it but it starts from the beginning and I have to fast forward to the end. Plus I use a harmony and appletv so this takes forever.

Can you make a option to turn off start from the begging when almost at the end of the show.

thanks

A recording is considered watched when more than 95% is played back. That means 1.5min from the end on a 30min show, or 3min from the end of a 60min show.

It should never trigger 5 or 10min before the end. How long are the shows?

CBS sunday morning 90min.

They have nature piece at the very end, and i stop it there to show my wife and come back it starts all over.

Plus other hour long shows sometimes I leave the recording just before the next week preview and when i come back i have to start over.

Another time is if im watching a show kind of live off the dvr and leave during last few minutes waiting for the dvr to finish before i return to the show… it starts over.

Can you make this start over feature and option rather then mandatory?

I’ve been getting bit by this issue a lot lately…

For me, the problem has been when I’m recording an NBA playoff game and watching that same in-progress recording behind live so that I can skip through the commercials. On an NBA game, I always have to add at least an hour end padding since the games always go longer than the guide says. And I think the problem happens when the playback gets into the padded time.

So if I stop playback (to check something in the guide or whatever) when playback is only five minutes into the padding and with 55 minutes remaining in the recording, then come right back to Up Next to resume the playback on the game, it’s nowhere to be found. Scroll down and find it in Recently Recorded, play it from there and it starts over from the beginning.

I think maybe Channels doesn’t take into account any end padding when calculating the 95%.

Correct. I’ll turn off this behavior for Sports recordings.

1 Like

Cant you make this a user option in the dvr settings page. I would like disable this feature all together for all shows.
Dont be like apple, give some control to the users.

Just curious if this fix ever made it into the DVR and/or Apple TV app? I’m still seeing the same behavior in DVR 2018.06.11.1714 and ATV 3.1.16.

Bumpety bump. Looks like sports recordings still don’t account for padding WRT watch status.

Bumping this once again since it seems I am still seeing the same problematic behavior....

cant we make this an option on the dvr server to turn this off all together
This has to be the one feature I really dislike

Bumping this once again...

@tmm1 Could you please provide an update on the status of this? I'm still seeing the issue in DVR v2018.11.22.0042 and ATV v3.2.12

I guess I'll try bumping this again...Channels still isn't accounting for end padding when calculating watched status.

It's been a year now since this was reported...can we get a fix?

It would be nice if, when you brought up something that has been partially watched, a requester would pop up with the choices "Resume" and "Play From Beginning."

Perhaps make the current behaviour the default and make the requester a per-device option in Settings?

Could we please get this fixed a year and a half later now?

I've improved the behavior for Sports on the latest DVR build.

2 Likes

Thats not cool, the sports question hijacked my request

"Can you make a option to turn off start from the begging when almost at the end of the show."
everything, not just sports*

We consider the automatic watched tracking an important feature of the DVR, so turning it off is not a viable solution. We need watched tracking to work correctly for other features we have planned for the future.

One issue right now is the percentage tracking is fixed at 95%. I'm going to change this to 98%. If that doesn't fix some of your use-cases, then we may consider adding an option to set your own percentage, which you could bump up to 100% if you really wanted.

The solution most other players use is to prompt you when you start watching to see if you want to start from the beginning again or resume where you were. We might end up doing something like this instead of a setting.

both options of setting your own or 98% sounds good
thanks

Hello, has this been fixed yet?

I use Nvidia Shield and always add 60 min end padding to NFL football recordings (I always skip through commercials and between plays).

If I pause a game after the network end time, start watching something else, then return to continue watching, the game is at the beginning and I can't remember the minute I left the game. I skip toward the end and watch then skip then watch then skip until I am at the spot I left off. This is really a huge pain.

If a recording uses a end padding can you adjust the auto start-over to reflect this?

Have a great Thanksgiving

2 Likes