Disable new channels showing automatically

Thank you for the info. I have done this, but when a new channel appears it is neither favorited or blocked. It seems it will still pick a non-favorited channel in some instances.

Collections & Favorites do not prevent the DVR from scheduling recordings on newly discovered channels, hence the need to disable them. Adding an option to do that automatically in no way conflicts or diminishes the channel collection functionality, which allows for multiple custom groups and multi-device syncing. While a side effect of collections is preventing new channels from being seen by a human, those channels are still seen and utilized by the application.

1 Like

If you’re seeing passes record on channels that are not marked as favorites, when you have some channels marked as favorites that the pass should record from, you’re seeing a bug.

The system, prioritizes, favorite channels, and if it’s not doing that there’s some kind of reason.

You should open a new thread and submit diagnostics and details so that we can look at it.

Marking channels as favorites inside Channels DVR Server, is the most significant way you can tell the server which channel to record from on your pass, outside of hard coding the channel number in the series pass.

I don't have this issue cause i only use Favorite channels. And the Guide on the Clients are set to show only favorites. Thus any new random channels (mainly the untunable 5000+) do not showup anywhere in Channels. All the Channels i care about are set to FAV, and the ones i don't are disabled or not set to fav and do not show up.

Interesting, I was unaware the system did anything else with Favorites except group them together. I haven't used Favorites in awhile since Collections became a thing, guess I need to revisit my channel config. That said, I'm still voting for this feature since I'd prefer the extra control.

1 Like

Using favorites and having a priority order your sources has a tremendous impact. If you go into Schedule view in the web interface, you can see upcoming recordings in the order of station priority. Some examples:

image image image

Without favorites and ordering of sources, it is going to go with HD > SD, Highest Station Number. So, in that first example, if I unfavorite 10.1, I end up with this:

You can immediately see the impact in the Pass itself if you want to play around and test it out.

1 Like

Aaaand now I remember why I stopped using Favorites...

Yea. Apple side, no sync. Android clients there is a sync option.

On Apple, you can just remove the app, then re-install it and it thus syncs fav/hidden channels etc.
If you have sever side settings enabled, there isn't really anything you need to re-configure in the client app.

I tried deleting and reinstalling but it was not pulling the correct favorites - no idea what was happening there. Tbh even if it did, I'm not reinstalling the app on every device in the house every time I want to change a favorite. I reverted to creating my own "Favorites" collection and disabling the built-in one to get working sync, so I'm back to not having DVR channel priority, and I wish I could vote twice for this issue.

Can't you just disable showing the Channels DVR favorites on the client, but still have them on the server for scheduling priority?

Just add your own My Favorites channel collection and set as a server side setting for the clients.

Yes, that's what I done since the first day Channel Collections were introduced.

Sure I guess that would work, but now I have to manually keep multiple favorites lists in sync (3 in my case since I have 2 HDHR tuners). We have computers for stuff like this, heh. Seriously though, why don't the built-in Favorites sync the same way other Collections do? Not trying to be a jerk, I genuinely want to understand the reasoning so I'm not missing something.

They were originally intended to and had issues. The devs came up with Channel Collections and said that's the fix.

Because the other "collections" are based upon guide data. They are not actually syncing, they are simply showing which channels have a program currently airing that fits the genre/category.

Channel collections?

Ahh, maybe the Automatic Channels

I'm referring to manually configured custom collections (as in, I added a selection of my favorite channels), not the automatic genre-driven ones.

Channel Collections are made and maintained on the server, so it’s a central location.

Vs multiple nodes having to sync to each other (clients)

Channel Collections don’t even sync, they’re just loaded from the server. This is incredibly less complicated and bug ridden.

Yes, this is what I mean by "sync" (clients all pull from the centralized server causing them to be in sync) - I apologize for my poor choice of wording causing confusion. In the end what I'm asking is, why not take the same approach with the built-in Favorites? Centralize it on the server, and (optionally) if a client adds/removes a channel from Favorites, push that back to the server where all the other clients pick up the change.

That would not be a good Idea but if it can be optional, I can live with it. ... Several people in my household have different favorites and have them set on their individual devices. What you want is if some one changes a favorite on their tablet it will also Change on my main entertainment system not good.

2 Likes

Absolutely optional. I realize my case isn't universal.

Another alternative would be bringing the DVR channel priority feature to custom collections (i.e. add a "Use this collection for recording priority" checkbox within a collection's settings or something like that) and leaving the Favorites functionality untouched.