Disk failure recovery

Please advise. I had a disk failure in a Windows Storage Spaces storage pool, which I was able to fix by replacing the controller card on a WD 8TB drive. The process took a while, but it is now ready for use again. My plan is to create a new storage space (with parity this time), migrate all of the data to the new pool, then set the DVR up to use the rebuilt storage pool.

Meanwhile, I have the DVR running on a temporary drive, using the most recent database backup prior to the failure. I assigned the temporary drive the same drive letter as the old storage pool. After restoring the database, the DVR picked up it's programming and continued as if nothing happened (nice!). All of the new and old recordings are visible in the library, but of course only the new ones will play back. By the time the new storage is ready to use, there will be a couple of months of recordings and programming changes in the temporary storage. My goal is to merge the new recordings and programming changes with the old library on the rebuilt storage. I think this procedure will work:

1. Make a backup and copy it to a safe location
  2. Disable the DVR (uncheck the DVR checkbox in Basic Setup)
  3. Copy the entire file structure from the temporary disk to the corresponding location in the recovered storage pool, overwriting any file collisions.
  4. Reassign drive letters to correspond to that which the DVR is expecting
  5. Reenable the DVR. It should simply work, if not, restore from the backup made in step 1.

Thoughts, recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

That should work. You basically want to keep using the latest database (which should contain entries for all your old recordings already), and then move the old mpg files into place so they can be found.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks for the quick response!