Disney ABC Shutting down stand alone apps

If you are someone who relies on TVE to watch Disney owned stations on Channels, check out the folowing details.

TVE is fading off into the sunset. :tv::sunrise: Sounds like it's time to add a couple more TV boxes to my ADBTuner setup... I'm so glad that we have Channels DVR and this great community to help us stay ahead of the game. :smiley:

1 Like

Apps, not website. Channels uses the website feeds, not app feeds. So, probably Channels TVE won't be affected if the website Live stream feeds remain. :question:

EDit: Vid in article says shutdown is Sept 23.

The apps rely on the website.
When the apps are stopped, the streaming audio that we use on TVE will stop.
Probably best to be prepared. i have stopped using TVE long ago due to these changes.

1 Like

Well, if that does remove these channels via TVE, then, that may fully kill my Xfinity TVE needs.
As i just use it for now just 8 channels. TBS, TNT, TruTV ; Nat Geo, FX, FXX, Disney, Freeform.
Used to also have Nat Geo WILD, Disney Jr, Disney XD, FXM.
But, my folks had to downgrade their cable package due to Xfinity's continued price increases.
If those last group of channels are gone, leaves only 3 i rarely watch, and can live without.

( i get Xfinity TVE from a secondary account, from my folks who still have cable tv, their only option where they live. They in their 80's and i setup all their tv and tings, and am their tech person :face_exhaling:)

I already lost Xfinity TVE on my main CDVR server, it refuses to auth, the devs just said the logs indicate pages are not fully loading, but they do fine on the system itself, gave up trying to figure that out. So, Xfinity just a pain in the ass no matter how u look at them. but i digress...

At least my main TVE source, Philo, is still going strong and offers crap ton of channels still.

But, the way things look to me, the networks themselves, want TVE to go away. But they will not openly say that, no.
In their mind, they are not removing the ability for customers to watch their network live online everywhere, they are just moving it to their own app/service, that you can use watch "anywhere"...as long as you subscribe to their service and use their app/streaming platform only.

For what it's worth, until recently, I have been relying on TVE for most of my Channels. I also use the Frndly container/2 source method.

I feel as if it has all been more glitchy lately. In recording, I have been getting lots of errors and brief stop/start disconnects indicating 500 server errors, 403 forbidden, no login source found, etc...

In the last several weeks I made the investment in a multi-input HDMI encoder and a few Onn 4k boxes. Using ADBTuner, and YouTube TV app, I have experienced far fewer errors, if any at all. So far, to me, the ADBTuner setup is providing more stable access for me to watch and record with ChannelsDVR.

1 Like

I've had good results here with YTTV and couple of ONN boxes and channels.
Just installed the update yesterday. between Philo, FRNDLY and YTTV, the channel line-up is pretty good.
The only station i'm actively using for TVE is REELZ.

The big ones for me are when the sports feeds go away like ESPN FS1 etc. So far they're all still working but that will be the end of TVE for me when they quit. Local channels quit working for me about a year ago, the workaround is HDMI encoders.

I also still use TVE for some news feeds like CNNI I don't see them going away anytime soon.

I once again remind you of the alternatives

https://community.getchannels.com/t/beta-chrome-capture-for-channels/36667/1574

I already piped in most of these channels with CC4C (although I'm going to switch over to ah4c with a LinkPi)

1 Like

Any thoughts on EPlusTV being an alternatives source for ESPN content? Currently I only use for Espn3 content, but wondering of it would be viable for other Espn content like regular channels and SEC NETWORK?

Yeah...it works ATM but that could well be in jeopardy if the powers that be turns on DRM.

Ugh - my son lives on Disney

Probably best to work on getting video signal into channels or at least have it at the ready so you aren't left out when the streams are stopped.

Luckily I record almost everything on there so he has plenty to keep him busy.

Is there a best option for TWDC/ABC sources? I’ve read through so many of those strings but there aren’t a lot of ABC examples. I have Xfinity, so access via Xfinity.net and ABC.com.

I think the Xfinity is the best option for you really. Honestly, I think using the cable providers usually the best way to go (if it's an option). I use Sling instead of the NBC app to get my NBC station for a reason