DLNA Output Support?

I've got an older Sony Bravia TV that doesn't seem to have the Channels app available (sidenote: if you can point me to a download link, maybe I can sideload it?).

However, it does support DLNA, which is how I watch my HDHR on it. Is there projected DLNA support for Channels?

No plans for DLNA. You can probably setup any DLNA server and point it at your recordings folder.

What version of Android is running on the TV?

It's less about the recordings and more about the Live TV, for me.

My TV doesn't run Android. I think it uses a custom Sony OS; the app store is based off Opera Software (not the browser). I'd be surprised if you had that.

Ultimately, I'm just hoping to either be able to Chromecast Channels (not supported in mobile browser, only desktop) or just view Channels through DLNA.

You know of any way to proxy/convert Channels into A DLNA server or something Plex can use (maybe make it appear as another HDHR)?

I'm comfortable using something like xTeve, but it doesn't appear Channels outputs m3u, either. Haven't looked too much into the Channels API, but open to ideas and recommendations.

If the TV has HDMI, you could plug in a device that can run Channels and would then have the full Channels interface available on your old TV.

Yeah. I'm considering getting a second Shield. I'd prefer not to spend if I don't have to, though.

The fire stick 4K is an affordable device that works well.

The DVR server does provide a m3u if you want to try feeding that into the tv or some other proxy.

http://ip:8089/devices/ANY/channels.m3u

Your HDHomeRun can be used over DLNA as well, but you wouldn't have access to the TVE channels of course.

1 Like

@tmm1 Thanks for the m3u link! I figured it existed somewhere, but never saw it pop up in the network traffic. By any chance is there EPG/XEPG/XMLTV somewhere?

@maddox Yeah. The HDHR works great over DLNA for me. Just need the TVE.

Thank you guys for the fast support responses!!

Nope nothing like that right now.

Just tried this with one of my Channels DVR servers with only TVE enabled, but the playlist lists both TVE and HDHR Prime channels. Bug?
Screenshot_2019-10-18%20Channels%20DVR

And I can watch any of the HDHR Prime channels using the playlist.

This is expected. You can stream live tv via the dvr (ie tuner sharing) even without dvr guide enabled.

I'm pretty close to getting this working. I've gotten xTeVe and Telly to both recognize Channels via the .m3u link. I can get Plex to recognize Channels (although I have to have Windows firewall completely block my HDHR when I add xTeVe/Telly to Plex). Plex pulls the channel list just fine.

The part where I'm stuck now is I can't get Plex to actually play the video. In xTeVe, I've tried with all forms of buffering. Everything appears to work okay in the logs and xTeVe reports 200s. However, Plex refuses to play the video and I can't figure out why. Plex seems to report 404s when trying to grab the stream chunks, although I'm not sure why.

When grabbing the .m3u, I've tried adding the session_id, codec, and abr query params and they don't appear to change anything.

I have a feeling it's because I'm having to have xTeVe use buffering since Plex doesn't support the channel's .m3u8 format.

Is it possible to get .m3u for each channel? Are there other query params I should try? Any idea what else might be going on?

Disregard. This actually seems to be an issue with the Plex web player, since I can get it working on my Android phone. So, I've got everything working just fine!!

Edit: By disabling "Direct Stream" in the Plex Debug settings, I can stream Channels through xTeVe through Plex Web.

Just checking in, I got this configured last night. I have Plex seeing xteve with my Channels DVR m3u playlist. I can tune into certain channels with no issues, but there are some channels where the stream won't play. While it's "playing", the video is stuttering and there's no audio. I wanted to see if you had similar issues with this.

You have Channels -> M3U -> xteve -> Plex?

Why?

I have lots of family members outside of my home network who utilize Plex, and they use Plex DVR with my antenna to watch some shows. I wanted to also add my TVE channels to this platform for them and using xteve accomplished this. Except some channels aren't playing nicely with it.

I know I could just have them install the Channels app on their home devices, but for my elderly relatives a) I don't want to confuse them with another app and b) some of their devices don't support Channels DVR.

Also I get that this will probably never be officially supported by you guys, and that's totally fine. But the fact that I've gotten this setup to work and Plex see the channels and plays some of them, gives me hope!

Also, Roku users can use Plex, but not Channels.

By-the-way, this now works better like this: Channels -> M3U -> Jellyfin. This is working well (although the Jellyfin app is not great yet) on Roku. The Jellyfin server transcodes the channels streams to meet the Roku needs. Jellyfin is FOSS too. I would prefer to use the Channels App and use it when I am on Android (mobile and TV), but for reasons that I don't care to fight about, Roku makes a better pure TV device for my needs, so I am (mostly) Roku. I'd love to see a native channels app for Roku but I understand the reasons that has not yet happened. But, in time maybe....