Docker or native Synology package

I am running a Synology NAS DS920+ and have channels running as a native package just fine. I have 3 other apps running on this NAS running in docker containers. I was wondering if there are any advantages/disadvantages to running Channels in a docker container?

I would imagine Channels should run better in native vs a container as it would have less hoops to jump through aka Docker. Other than that I don't think there is an advantage.

1 Like

Personally, I decided to run as many things in Docker as possible to try to insulate them from changes to DSM like the big change from 6 to 7. I haven't tried comparing the performance between them though.

I quit using docker to run Channels DVR for TVE sources. Was always getting Chrome corrupted.
I have Channels DVR running in two docker containers, but they use HDHR tuner and Custom M3U channel sources. My Channels DVR's with TVE sources are running on the Synology package.

1 Like

You aren't likely to find much of a difference. A container uses the same memory, kernel, and resources as the host OS. The only benefit of a container is that its processes are segregated from the host system and run in their own namespace.

The short answer (if you don't understand containers) is that they are for simplicity and separation. (And if you don't understand containerization, you're probably better off without it; otherwise you're adding a new level of tech issues to troubleshoot that you don't understand.)

This was resolved with the multiple chrome fix

2 Likes

Thanks, didn't know that

1 Like

I ended up moving Channels to Docker and so far so good.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.