Docker/Pluto for noobs, pleeze

So I've been reading/trying to wrap my head around the whole Docker integration thing ever since it started, but I feel like I've been invited to a house but can't find the door... When trying to understand how to set it up, I see things like "Fire up the container as usual. " What does that mean?

Do I create an account on Docker.org? Is that where my "containers" go?
I have an Asustor NAS, which runs Channels (been running great for years) - do I set up the Docker container on that? I found in AsusPortal, an app called Docker-CE - I installed it, but.... now what? (It doesn't show up as an... app. Is it just services?)

I feel stuck on Step .5 - Step 1 thru 8 make sense to me. :slight_smile:

I would like some guidance as well. I have a Synology NAS and have the jonmaddax-pluto-for-channels docker running but don't know where to go from there. I have Pluto docker running on my Windows Laptop and successfully got it working but I don't want to run this on my laptop 24/7. Is there an issue running Pluto docker and Channels DVR on the same NAS. If so can I run docker on another NAS running Emby. Is so need guidance on how to get Pluto docker to run on NAS.

Install Docker on your server. Install the Container by jonmaddax. Copy the .m3u and .xml urls to a new source on Channels server. Make sure you use the ip of the Docker install for the .m3u and .xml links.

No need to signup for Docker. Just download the appropriate version for your install location.

For Synology NAS Docker install I just did a quick google search and it says you have to install Docker from the Synology Package Center. https://www.baitando.com/it/2019/09/22/using-docker-on-synology-nas

https://hub.docker.com/r/jonmaddox/pluto-for-channels

Thank you for the help. Got it working.

1 Like

Thanks... this has gotten me closer, but still a no-go. I found my NAS uses Portainer-CE, in conjunction with Docker-CE, and after some trial-and-error, I got the container pulled, and installed... it says it's running, I can't figure out how to configure the IP address, ports or port forwarding... probably an issue more with using Portainer-CE, but in the image/container, it gives me no indication of how/where to use the command

docker run -d --restart unless-stopped --name pluto-for-channels -p 8080:80 jonmaddox/pluto-for-channels

so... I don't get to set ports,etc.... Like I say, this is probably my skillset using Portainer-CE, but there it is.

the -p 8080:80 is the option where the published port is set. The option (--publish or -p), allows you to open a port on the host, and direct it to the container, as -p host:container. So if you would rather have it exposed on port 1234, use -p 1234:80.

1 Like

Thanks - I totally understand the command logic... but my problem was I couldn't seem to get anything running. Was able to pull down the container and install it through Portainer, but the Step .5 I was missing was that once I set a container, I needed to SSH (command line, bash prompt, whatever) and run that "Docker run -d" stuff.... THAT was the missing piece. I think it's working now.... we'll see over the next hours/days.

1 Like