Does channels work with HDHomeRun Commercial tuners? (TECH5-4K8-2X4)

We have a small, neighborhood-scale ISP, and we're wondering if we could provide local TV channels via one of HDHomeRun's commercial tuners (TECH5-4K8-2X4). Does the Channels app natively work with these multicast UDP/RTP tuners?

Interesting question. For the average user, that hardware is overkill so not sure there's many with experience. The developers may also have limitations on mutli-household use (though it's an interesting business model to consider given the functionality that the software provides).

Then there's the whole "Locast and Aereo" debate around allowing people access to OTA through 3rd party means. I'm in full support for innovation, but the content creators and distributors have taken a scorched earth approach to any risk to their current business model.

The commercial tuners are mostly the same as the consumer ones but may have some slight API differences. A few years ago someone was using them with Channels and it worked fine. We are happy to help if something is not working.

1 Like

I used them, Copy Once protection was the only limitation. Same as Prime.

Is there any OTA that has the Copy Once Protection? I've not encountered but I haven't honestly looked either. I did use Prime devices before when I used Verizon FIOS for cable subscription. Worked very well as very few channels except premium movie channels had DRM on, but I've been away from that for about 3 years at least.

The Tech tuner i have doesnt support OTA, cable card only.

I'm using channels with a TECH5-16DT-4X4.

Thank you everyone!

Technical issues aside, this is a very good way to get sued by the broadcast networks and the local stations you are re-transmitting