Dolby 5.1

Not sure why you're ignoring all of the advice here? We're trying to help...

Thank you. Appreciate the insight. I'll just let the ATV do it's thing then :slight_smile:

I also only get stereo PCM output. No 5.1 coming through at all on Apple TV 4K hooked up to Sonos Arc via HDMI using a Sony Bravia EARC enabled Tv

TVE is only stereo. You'd need a HDHR for 5.1

yes I believe it has to do with the fact that we are connected to the arc using HDMI. That is s requirement for atmos on the arc.
While the Apple TV is certainly capable of this it appears that the
hdhomerun is not able to supply this.
I have also tried the new HDhomerun 4K and it has some issues.

Waiting for my new Apple TV to try again but I don't expect it to help.

At least all I need to do is use my Tivo and it comes in in dolby.

1 Like

@mpf541 Please stop spreading misinformation. The HDHomeRun and Apple TV support 5.1 audio, and it is working for hundreds of others on this forum.

your tv watching setup has AIDS. of course it can "supply that". its been "supplying that" for over a decade.

I am not spreading misinformation. And if you were using the same equipment you might be able to see this. I would at least look at the other with the Apple TV and the Sonos arc are saying.

Most developers I know would at least test this before saying it works. I am not blaming channels for this but the the hdhomerun.

You should learn how to read.

The HDHomeRun has no issue with multi-channel audio; the Apple TV has no problem with multi-channel. Sounds like the problem is related to either the Sonos, your TV, or some other hardware outside of Channels' control and purview.

My TiVo’ had a setting where Dolby was either turned on for all channels or off for all channels. Haven’t used TiVo in a year. Might have changed.

Well now if you happen tom really read all here this problem is limited to people that use an app TV and the channels app with a Sonos arc.What you seem to not real is I am attempting to get dolby digital 5.1 sound with this.

Now as to where the problem lies I have never said it was with channels. I started here because I tried to replace the TiVo with the channels app. When I found that it can not supply true dolby digital 5.1 sound. It outputs stereo PCM 2.0 to the arc.

I know it is not the Apple TV as Netflix and prime are able to give me Dolby Atmos or 5.1

This rules out the Apple TV as a problem.

To me the fact that the HDHomerun will not output dolby digital 5.1 to me means the channels app is not the issue. As the source of the sound is the HDhomerun.

SO before all you developers get pity again look and see that I am not blaming channels but the hdhomerun app.

I am sure that if it could provider dolby digital 5.1 it would. But it does not.

Now unless you are using a Sonos arc and an Apple TV this does not really apply to you.

Yes channels can do this with other hardware

I have a Sonos ARC and I get 5.1 surround sound with my HDHomeRun and Apple TV 4K.

I even posted a photo of it earlier showing that I'm getting 5.1 in the Sonos app.

Your understanding and assertion that the HDHomeRun cannot supply 5.1 audio is incorrect.

2 Likes

Apple TV does not output DD 5.1 unless you set it to and then you lose the ability for Atmos. Normal audio out of the Apple TV4k is 5.1 uncompressed.

Also, not all channels are 5.1. If this is OTA, the 6 channel audio is on ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, CW, and MyTV. Most PBS, ION, and the sub-channels for any main station broadcast 2 audio channels.

1 Like

@tmm1 This is sort of off topic, but since you have an Arc and you might know a thing or two about Channels I figured I would run this by you. :slight_smile:

I recently got a Sonos Arc, which I am using with a 2021 ATV 4K. Sometimes with Channels content, the audio is significantly ahead of the video. Do you experience that as well? I know there are a ton of factors at play here, and I am not suggesting that it is a Channels issue. And I know Sonos has an adjustment for this but it is sort of a pain to use. Just wondering if you have experienced this as well, and if you have any suggestions. Thanks in advance!

I have not experienced any sync issues.

Usually if you're feeding through the TV (via HDMI ARC), that's the source of any delay.

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Yes, I have an HDMI going to my LG TV and then back out to the Sonos Arc. I don't think there's really another way to do it, right? Aside from an HDFury Arcana, which is stupid expensive.

Im' doing the same with my LG. You can look in the TV's settings and switch the format to prevent postprocessing on the TV

I thought I had all post-processing turned off, but I will go back and check again. You are referring to both audio and video post-processing, right?

Do TVE channels not output surround sound? I can’t get sound out of the center channel speaker on those type of channels but local OTA through 4k home run do? Instead of TVE sound comes out the tv speaker instead