Dolby 5.1

TVE channels are stereo only, no surround.

1 Like

Figures but shouldn’t I still get the audio out of a center speaker instead of the tv?

When a channel is in stereo (2.0), you only get sound out of the left and right front speakers. Nothing from the center speaker.

Are you saying when using hdhr content sound is coming out of an avr to stand alone speakers but when you switch to tve content sound comes out of the tv? This sounds wickedly weird. If this is the case can you explain all devices and how they are connected and in what order. If the tv is outputting sound to say a sound bar with satellites over optical cable you may need to check settings within the tv and enable stereo along with multi channel output through optical. Please explain your setup

Actually most modern avr’s would automatically initiate pliiz and simulate surround sound using all speakers. Unless “direct” or equivalent setting is chosen

I'm saying I have a Denon X4400h receiver. I have this HD Homerun connected to bring in local OTA channels including ATSC 3.0 that will be available in my area it appears soon: HDHomeRun FLEX 4K - SiliconDust

I also have an Apple TV 4k and Nvidia Shield 4K hooked up to the receiver. I am using the ARC feature on the TV to send all sound through the receiver.

What I am saying is that when I watch local OTA programming that is being picked up by the HD Homerun on Channels that yes I am getting sound out of the center channel speaker (not a soundbar. I am using a Monoprice Monolith 365C THX speaker). However, it appears all TVE channels all sound is coming out of the television speaker (instead of the center speaker above) and the two left and right front speakers). And obviously I don't want it using the television speaker but the actual center channel speaker...

Sorry, but this doesn't make sense. You're either sending all sound via the client devices into the receiver, or sending them to the receiver via the TV with the clients hooked up there. ARC wouldn't come into play if the ATV and shield are hooked into the receiver.

TVE is stereo only( left and right speakers) Set your receiver to DTS Neural X to emulate surround. You must have a setting on your Tv to allow the center speaker on your tv to work with your receiver. Turn it off

So there must be a setting that needs changed in the tv. If you can’t find a setting try disabling tv speakers or even better just attach atv and shield hdmi to the denon first. Then denon to tv and disable speakers in tv and done

The HDMI was not in the arc port on the tv. I fixed it and then choose “movie” button on the receiver remote and it lets me select Dolby Surround and get dialogue come out of the Monolith 365 C speaker instead of the built in tv speaker

It would be cool if you guys could have a setting to pimp the TVE 2 channel audio to simulated 5.1. I realize this is a lot of work and not just a setting. :slight_smile:

The SiliconDust implementation (while fare from perfect) is huge improvement from 2 channel audio to 5.1 (on ATSC 3.0 content) on the AppleTV.

SiliconDust is doing TVE now?

I edited my post. ATSC 3.0.

I was under the impression they were merely transcoding AC-4 to AC-3; are you saying SD is also additionally upmixing stereo audio into 5.1?

Edit: apparently that's exactly what they're doing. They were upconverting 2.0 audio to 5.1; but after complaints it seems they're now just upconverting to 3.1. Regardless, I'm not sure their artificial cloud-based transcoding should additionally be upmixing 2.0 audio; but, that's just my opinion.

It's far from perfect. Too much bass and higher volume than other channels but the bass and surround sound during football is pretty awesome.

I have the LG SP11RA soundbar system. Not sure how the Sonos and other real systems handle 2.0 audio. On my soundbar, it is very underwhelming. On the other hand Atmos, DTS and 5.1 is a phenomenal experience with the surrounds an 4 up firing speakers. I currently have it in "cinema" mode to pass audio in the real speakers but don't want to hear center channel in my rears.

I figure it doesn't hurt to ask for a feature.

I much prefer having choice. I don’t want channels converting to 5.1 unless I select. I have a demon receiver as well and have shortcuts to switch to 5.1 for TVE. Usually sounds fine, but if a show was originally recorded in stereo, I don’t want that converted to 5.1.

How does that work, as TVE is all stereo only?

He is probably talking about the prologic functionality of Denon. I have a Marantz receiver which is basically Denon. It does an amazing job of converting 2 channel audio to surround. So much so that I dont mind TVE channels audio anymore (for regular shows and sports not movies of course).

2 Likes

That makes a little bit of sense, but his following statement makes me think otherwise:

That statement seems contradictory to your reading, so I'm curious what was actually meant.

What I was saying is if I know a show was recorded in 5.1, but is being sent as stereo, I’ll use the receiver to simulate 5.1. Does a pretty decent job. But I don’t want everything concerned to 5.1. For example, if it’s an older show that wasn’t recorded on 5.1, I want to hear that in stereo.