Dolby Atmos limitations on Apple TV

Thanks again. On a side note, were you able get Dolby Atmos working for Apple TV? As in, doing the pass-through to allow the receiver to decode it in Dolby Atmos. I tried the latest beta with the experimental audio driver but it just comes through as Multi Channel.

It should be working in the latest beta. If you swipe down in the player does it say Atmos?

It says TrueHD.

Apple TV doesn't support TrueHD+Atmos.

Maybe I have something set up wrong. The movie description says it's Dolby Atmos. When I look at the tracks it has Surround 7.1. Do I need to turn off TrueHD somehow?

The Apple TV can only play Atmos from specific types of files. You can try the same file in Infuse and the behavior will be the same. Files that put atmos inside TruHD cannot be played on Apple TV by any player.

I understand now. Are there other streaming devices that can output the Atmos sound track with Channels?

I think the SHIELD is capable of doing so, but I don't think Channels on the SHIELD does it yet.

The Apple TV will need to connect via HDMI and to the HDMI CEC port on most TVs for Atmos to work.

See:

You can create an apple bug report as described there, or sign Petition · True Lossless Dolby Atmos support on the Apple TV 4K · Change.org

1 Like