DRM Protected ATSC 3.0 Channels

Welcome to the club!
:see_no_evil:

2 Likes

Whatever Silicon Dust will come up with, will work with Silicon Dust DVR only and have the aforementioned restrictions. Channels will be SOL.

@elvisimprsntr instead of playing Debbie Downer here you might encourage people to sign the petition instead. It doesn't take much to put some pressure on FCC. FCC extended the lighthouse requirement for another 5 years recently so all the pressure NAB was putting on them didn't work. We have 4 more years to regroup before FCC will be taking public comments on the issue.

In the past AARP was able to put some pressure on FCC when the broadcast flag was an issue so maybe they need a refresher on what their mission is.

3 Likes

Silicondust is on its way ...

NextGen TV Certification testing started - Page 2 - Silicondust

1 Like

enc

1 Like

Encryption and DRM are 2 different things ... all My cable channels are encrypted but only a few have DRM.

Not necessarily, it is still wait and see:

Also, with workarounds like HDMI for Channels, PC Stream for Channels, and Chrome Capture for Channels, it seems highly likely we'll be able to come up with something to work around them if they cannot provide it themselves.

1 Like

We're not talking about cable. NickK is confirming that that ability to view the copy protected channels is not part of this NextGen certification.

I also remember when SD insisted they weren't going to get NextGen certified, but they've clearly changed their tune.

1 Like

Instructions
https://www.change.org/p/tell-the-fcc-no-drm-encryption-of-atsc-3-0-broadcasts/u/31735780?cs_tk=Aqv4dlUq4P6ITEY_tWQAAXicyyvNyQEABF8BvEm-19xcT8q7dn4WP15mGPQ%3D&utm_campaign=162643d58edc49178a2f1a5a8be70fc8&utm_content=initial_v0_6_0&utm_medium=email&utm_source=petition_update&utm_term=cs

FCC FORM
https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/filings/express

1. Click this link to be taken to the FCC filing form.

2. On the first line for proceedings type in 16-142 . The system will then display the text "Authorizing Permissive Use of the "Next Generation" Broadcasting Television Standard." Click on that to lock in the docket number.

3. Fill in your information. A US address is required and note that this will be part of the public record.

4. Write your comment in the comment section. It's important to provide some detail especially how this change will make it difficult for YOU to consume over the air television.

1 Like

I filled it out. Highly recommend everyone else do the same even if you don't currently have an ATSC3 tuner!

1 Like
2 Likes

To even the casual reader it would seem that the only NextGen feature being implemented for NextGen TV is DRM. Its very telling that DRM is being implemented almost immediately upon launch of the initial lighthouse channels. It reveals that DRM was integral to the implementation plans of ATSC-3 from the very start. I always wondered why an industry that dragged it's heels to switch from analog to digital then took it upon themselves to develop and push out an entirely new and incompatible digital standard. I think I have my answer.

The shocking (and not surprising) part about the Lon vid was Nick's SD forum post saying that you have to use DTCP2 to implement DRM, which means no client can actually play anything even IF it could be recorded because no device OS supports it.

What a bunch of aholes. This is Cablecard all over again without a reasonable standard for third parties to implement. They don't want anything other than locked down devices/apps to be able to do anything with the streams, and I'm sure they're going to point to Netflix et al and say well, our app with a Tablo is the only way to go.

2 Likes

I think Nick was saying that DTCP2 was the only previously approved method. SD has been working with them on an alternate method which does not require DTCP2, but will instead require an active internet connection to watch encrypted channels or playback recordings.

That's great, but the idea that they wanted to use a protocol that nothing supports (and that they implemented DRM now without any device that supports it) does not bode well for future open access.

My impression from all of this is that they want it completely locked down, and I'll be surprised if it gets as "open" as Cablecard was.

This should be the gist of any FCC petition, because I doubt the FCC will force them to remove it. But the FCC completely botched a replacement for Cablecard when they had a chance because Comcast et al pushed back hard, so...

ATSC 3.0 is designed to provide secure services to the home and/or mobile user. It can use a mix of OTA and internet delivery to achieve delivery of content. They will be able to deliver all kinds of content including what we see as DRM content via over the air. They could also delivery over the air software support for appliances, cars and portable devices. I believe at some point this will provide cable alternatives to viewers. While I disagree with DRM being used on presently free channels, I think the design is excellent for furture delivery of content that is not free.

You don't need ATSC 3.0 to do anything over the internet via OTA.

1 Like

A solution in search of a problem.

2 Likes

I just got hit with DRM

Nothing here in San Diego yet.

I'm fairly certain none of these other things will come to fruition. In the era of internet, none of this makes a whole lot of sense.

I said it months ago, this was a wolf in sheeps clothing. The goal here was to neuter the free OTA experience and satisfy the broadcast requirements in the most minimal way possible.

Nothing else makes any sense as to why they'd even want to do this. This was all a long time coming once media consolidation happened in the US. The station owners only begrudgingly support OTA as it is. I had channel that pixelated for months. There's nobody to contact, there's no support. I tried three antennas and spent countless hours troubleshooting. I gave up and 6 weeks later it magically fixed itself. It was on the station's side. Do you think that would happen with their feeds to cable providers? They are no doubt happy when the 1.0 OTA experience is less than optimal so frustrated viewers will just opt to paying. This is the biggest bait and switch in the history of broadcast television.

1 Like