DRM Protected ATSC 3.0 Channels

Lon details exactly how much these companies are making from retransmission fees and why it's more important to them than advertising fees.

2 Likes

1 Like

2 Likes

When HDHR gets the 3.0 certification and I can view the stations in the Windows app, I will make some modifications to this workaround I currently have for TVE DRM:

5 Likes
4 Likes

Yup I signed it. Doubt it will do anything.

3 Likes

Better than nothing

4 Likes

So much for free ATSC 3.0 channels in my area. All but 2 channels have switched to DRM. One is an alternate language channel and the second will likely soon follow.

I signed the petition, but I doubt it will have any effect since citizens are up against powerful lobbyists with deep pockets and corrupt politicians/regulators holding their hands out. Not to mention the revolving door between Washington, industry lobbyists, and regulators (i.e. FDA,FCC,FAA,EPA,NTSB,etc.)

I might as well sell my Connect 4K on evilBay to recoup some of my coins and reconnect my Extend in its place.

UPDATE: Installed FreeCast on my ATV. Automatically detected my HDHR, but no video on some ATSC 3.0 channels and no audio on others. Obviously, Channels will not play DRM stations .The one remaining non-DRM station plays in Channels, but no audio through FreeCast. Not sure if it's a tvOS 17.0b2 issue or not.

2 Likes

Has anyone made any template letters for sending to politicians. Im to laxy to make one. But i am willing to lightly modify one.

I signed up for change org. There is no ATSC 3.0 in my area yet. But im dreading it coming. Because it starts the countdown to my regular ATSC 1.0 broadcast being shutdown. They are currently only required to maintain 1.0 for 5 years. However I would not be suprised if as more ATSC 3.0 rolls outvthe 5 year requirement goes away or decreases.

I wish there was more we could do as a community.

Unless you have a bazillion $ to pay off everyone in Washington, there is nothing private citizens can do.

2 Likes

Silicon Dust is planning to have their solution in the next few months and it won't cost you a bazillion $. We will lose the remote access capability and our recordings may be limited, but we will likely survive.

2 Likes

Do they take checks. . . .

boing oing oing

1 Like

I think they prefer untraceable assets.

1 Like

The negativity is astounding. How about you use that energy to spread the word on this. Yes, there is one party that won't give a crap about this, but the other party often does look at things from the perspective of the little guy at least sometimes.

We need to get this on the radar of my senator John Fetterman. I'm going to look into it as he's always in support of the little guy vs. the corporate behemoths.

3 Likes

Unfortunately the negativity is there for a reason, money talks.

If you think anything we send petition etc is going to change DRM at this point, I got a bridge in Arizona to sell you. We are a niche within a niche and most people don't even know what a TV antenna is, nor do they care as long as it shows up on their TV via whatever device they buy.

3 Likes

Sorry, but you are completely uninformed. 48.3 million households with an antenna is not niche within niche.

Not only that but it's been increasingly significantly year over year and it skews young with younger people more likely than over 50s to install an antenna.

That's why ATSC 3.0 was dreamt up, because the big media companies understand this and are trying to do whatever they can to stem the tide.

1 Like

I do not want the mods to close this thread.

Please refrain from political commentary, insults & hot button issues.

Thank you.

5 Likes

I meant Channels as a niche, not ATSC. And we're the only ones that care.

But again it won't matter how many do care.

Keep trying, but you're wrong again Debbie Downer.

1 Like

C'mon man, no need for stupid name calling because you disagree. Keep it civil.

3 Likes