DRM Protected ATSC 3.0 Channels

For me it is simple enough I will go with the DVR that Allows DRM Playing and recording ...

1 Like

ATSC1.0 with Channels DVR works great for me and so I shouldn't need ATSC3.0 for several more years. By then, anything could happen. I may not even have a need for OTA TV.

5 Likes

This is my situation now, except for sports. Streaming sports is useless if you are a maniac like me and constantly rewind, pause, replay, then catch up. I have no use for network TV otherwise. Most of it is pretty horrible to me.

As an afterthought, I do tune in to the local stations when bad weather is threatening. That seems kind of important, hopefully there is a workaround in place by the time OTA has it end days...

I'm in the same position, I'm happy with ATSC-1. I use an HDHR Flex with Channels for the Philly ATSC-1 lineup and my daughter put me on her YouTube-TV Family Plan subscription for TVE. It all works great. Two days ago, ATSC-3 just went live in Philly with 5 lighthouse stations: CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX and WPSG (CW). CBS, NBC and WPSG were encrypted at launch (useless), ABC and FOX are currently clean. I re-scanned my HDHR to pick up the ATSC-1 channel shifts they had to make to free up a channel for the lighthouse and then I promptly X'd out the ATSC-3 stations. ATSC-3 is dead to me as long as ATSC-1 keeps rolling. And by then the landscape will have changed immensely.

3 Likes

I wouldn't say bad blood, more like competitors selling similar DVR services to the same group of potential consumers.

It doesn't make a lot of sense as Channels has sold a lot of HDHR hardware and Channels can't exist without HDHR.for the most part.

1 Like

Philly is finally live? I can't believe Tyler the Antenna Man hasn't instantly released a video yet!

2 Likes

Not worth it, because it's nearly all encrypted...

4 Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
WPSG 33 08/10/2023 KYW-TV
• 03-1 Encrypted Subchannel Icon CBS KYW-TV (KYW-TV 03-1)
• 06-1 \ 16x16 ABC WPVI-HD (WPVI-TV 06-1)
• 10-1 Encrypted Subchannel Icon NBC WCAU-TV (WCAU 10-1)
• 29-1 \ 16x16 FOX WTXFDT (WTXF-TV 29-1)
• 57-1 Encrypted Subchannel Icon Independent WPSG (KYW-TV 57-1)
• 65-1 Encrypted Subchannel Icon Univision WUVP-DT (WPHL-TV 65-1)

2 Likes

As a fellow big sports fan this is our streaming future, unfortunately. We're going to look back to the DVR days with fondness because we're going to get stuck with appointment TV just like it was before VCRs came along. You either watch it live or you don't watch it, they're tiptoeing into it now with sports but it's just going to get worse and worse.

Or you're just going to find bootleg streams and record them if you can.

Hmm, you are of course correct, there are 6 lighthouse stations. I could have sworn there were only 5 after I re-scanned.

But most hated underpowered low VHF ABC-6 now on UHF 33 and not yet DRM'd?! That is worth six videos unto itself!!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

There’s no bad blood. The HDHomeRun is the best networked tuner out there.

6 Likes

Fair. I was STOKED when the Hartford lighthouse gave me CBS from there, but then they flipped the switch on me.

1 Like

The HDHomeRun Flex did get certified, but if you read what the posted, it "Does not include support for DRM protected channels".

2 Likes

I see the first Box that does DRM/Viewing is the ADTH maybe HDHomeRun is next.

ADTH NEXTGEN TV Box - ADTH

Snip ....

TV BOX FOR ATSC 1.0 AND ATSC 3.0 NEXTGEN TV

• TV Tuner: Both ATSC 1.0 and ATSC 3.0 NEXTGEN TV
  • Maximum Supported Resolution: 2160p (4K)
  • High Dynamic Range (HDR)
  • Dolby AC-4 Audio
  • DRM Support
  • Wi-Fi: Dual Band 2.4G/5G 2T2R
  • Bluetooth 5.0
  • Remote Control Unit
  • Power Adapter
3 Likes

Still rather crippled for anything useful though.

• Will it allow the recording of ATSC 3.0 content onto an attached USB storage? Does it have DVR capabilities?

At the time of release, the box will not support USB storage or DVR capabilities, but we hope to add those capabilities in an automatic software update.

Edit: Additional:

• How many tuners does the TV Box have?
    The TV Box has 1 tuner that supports both ATSC 1.0 and ATSC 3.0 NEXTGEN TV

• Can the box be used for multiple TVs simultaneously?
    No, the TV box supports 1 TV at a time.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Its pretty cool a hdmi capture device works. I wonder if they will fix it with a firmware upgrade.

I think Lon's title on this video is a tiny bit misleading. They didn't "break" DRM, they followed the rules to be allowed to obtain a key decrypt the stream.

(Granted, the lack of HDCP protection may come back to bite them.)

I just can't see Channels coming to an arrangement with the NextGEN folks unless they have some way to adequately restrict copying of the recordings.

5 Likes

This device is garbage. But I think it's indicative of how much of a mess DRM is. An internet connection required for emergency broadcasts? GTFO.

On the otherhand, the SD folks are being as opaque as usual regarding progress and timelines. It's looking increasingly like there wont be any decryption until sometime in 2024. And since they're doing Roku first, I can't see an Android solution until a year or so from now at the earliest. Apple even later.

3 Likes