Dual antenna setup help

Also, this is what you normally use to combine 2 antennas:

However, because you are combining them after the signal has been amplified, I think it will NOT make a difference. The backwards splitter is fine I think.

2 Likes

Lots of good info here, thanks everyone!

I did happen to stumble across the Channel Master JOINtenna device a few days ago, and was going to ask about it here as well. Considering the low cost of this device specifically, and the fact that I know both antenna feeds work well on their own as long as they are not combined incorrectly through the reversed splitter, I was thinking to try the JOINtenna first. Kind of hard to argue with a $30 device vs $200 and up. If it doesn't work, I could probably return it, and even if I can't $30 is not too hard to swallow.

To my recollection, the ATSC 3.0 channels did NOT replace the 1.0 ones in the guide. There are separate entries in the grid (such as 1004 in conjunction with 4.1 for the local NBC affiliate), and yes they do show as HEVC in the HDHR channel list.

If I have to go with another option, I'll probably still lean on the dual HDHR tuner setup. Being nearly identical in price to the SmartKom, and the extra cabling being very easy to run, it would also double the tuner count and allow for 4 ATSC 3.0 tuners, which is a nice plus.

I won't have the ability to work on this for awhile, since I live an hour plus away from the house in question, but when I do I'll post back here with the results so future folks in the same boat will have some ideas on how it all shook out.

Two antennas with at least 6.5 feet of separation.

Two cable runs.

Two tuners.

Shortcuts will result in multipath and undesired reception challenges.

I tried the Jointenna and it didn't work. As I posted above, I ended up using two HDHomeRuns tuners - one for each antenna. Today, I would get the SmartKom and only one HDHomerun.

That "new" Jointenna is nothing but an expensive 2 way splitter. It'll work as well or NOT, as any splitter, for the people it might work for. Those would have to have stations way off each axis to keep them from fighting each other. The SmartKom or dual HDHR's is the way to go.

1 Like

Antenna Man has finally spoken

1 Like

There was a Jointenna (now discontinued) with filters of channels so the offending interference didn't happen. But you need custom filters for your area, so an expensive option.

I now use and recommend to everybody, the Televes SmartKom. It's a Jointenna on steroids:

I’m with the 2 tuner crowd. Gives you more options with amplifying versus not if you deal with interference.

I deal with 2 low power VHF stations out of Philly that are also somehow affected by an 87.7 FM tower on a ridgeline nearby. If I amplify that signal I deal with more noise, so I run that antenna straight into a 2 tuner HDHR. Then all my other channels go through an amplifier to a 4 tuner HDHR.

Then I can playback/record from 6 channels at the same time.

2 Likes