Dual DVR servers?

I think there are lots of us using Channels DVR for a remote connection who would also benefit from a double server option. Being able to connect to 2 servers (one local, one remote, or maybe 2 remote servers) would be great for expats, second houses etc... Is this something feasible or in your road plan?

You can Install as many servers locally as you like but only one can have Remote Access.

But it looks like I can't mix a local server and a remote server. one the app discovers the local DVR server, I get kicked out of my remote server...

What do you mean by MIX ? are you talking about seeing the recordings in both servers ?

Yeah, the same way the Channels app can mix a remote DVR server with a local HDHR tuner and the app knows where to pull the stream from when you tune into a channel. This would be one step further: pull the stream and allow recording, remote or locally, depending on the source.

I just setup the Raspberry PI server to test it out and it works great! Congratulations on making the setup quick and easy. I am running it along side my Synology NAS server with Channels IOS clients. It would be great if the client app had a way to add a second server manually, by IP address/Name. So, we could easily just open the app, go to settings and select a specific, previously saved server, via a drop down.

Just a suggestion for the future.

Thanks for all of your work and patience.

1 Like

I would love being able to run 2 servers as an option for High Availability and/or failover if the main server loses integrity. This along with somehow being able to playback multiple displays would make Channels perfect for a sports bar or like venue.

+1. I'd also like this option. If I go into Settings and click the Channels Plus button and then choose the "Away From Home" I am able to do the "Authorize Access" step but the client still connects to the local instance. This is counter intuitive! If I choose "Away From Home" I want it to connect to the remote instance but the app is ignoring my choice.

I used to have this working with the "workaround" described by this post but with a recent client update it defaulted back to the local instance and keeps doing so. It doesn't seem like a viable workaround any more.

I also would like to set up a second server to put only for my kids or parents to watch from another location. Is this possible or do I need to pay for a second service?

2 Likes

As long as only one DVR server instance has remote access enabled. Remote access to multiple servers is not supported, just one.

I have 2 running and sharing the tuners between them using M3U from my main server. There is no license needed for the 2nd server but you will not have remote access to it.

The sharing of tuners is a bonus as they can both be watching or recording same channels and only use 1 stream.

You can also add the 2nd server recordings as imports :slight_smile:

PS ... I make them all use EMBY for remote access.