Duplicate channels vs. multiple language feeds

Continuing the discussion from Changes in channel lineups - #110 by kyl416 to keep that thread as clean as possible (only contain lineup change announcements).

Thank you, @kyl416 for the clarification about the English and Spanish heeds of the Horrorfy and The World Poker Tour channels in PLEX Live TV.
It's unfortunate that they have exactly the same names.

Pluto TV is better about that. For example:

But it also has what appears to be duplicate channels:

In this case, I checked and they are actually duplicates.

My script looks at channel names and reports the ones that are identical on different channel numbers.
There is no additional data that can help identify the language feeds so it will continue to report "duplicate" channels, at least for reference. :slight_smile:

There is a channel ID associated with each channel and it doesn't really help because they are different even in the case of actual duplicate channels. Same thing with the station numbers that are different.

For example:

"ID": "pluto-5eb1afb21486df0007abc57c",
            "GuideNumber": "10345",
            "GuideName": "CBS News Bay Area",
            "HD": 1,
            "Station": "5eb1afb21486df0007abc57c",

"ID": "pluto-62cdc6c5a698740007d299b1",
            "GuideNumber": "10424",
            "GuideName": "CBS News Bay Area",
            "HD": 1,
            "Station": "62cdc6c5a698740007d299b1",

So there is really nothing that can help differentiate duplicate channels from non duplicates (multiple language feeds) when they have exactly the same names.

Unless somebody knows of a way to do it in an automatic way. I would love to know! :slight_smile: