DVR crashing on Synology

My DVR ran flawlessly for several months, until recently, I have had a few crashes on my DVR. When it happens, I restart DVR once unsuccessfully (via the Synology package console), then a second DVR restart seems to get it running again.

Any suggestions? Wife will start to get unhappy quickly if I can't stabilize this :-). Thanks.

Here is the first part of the log after the crash. I can send more log info if needed.

2018/11/27 10:36:13 [DVR] Fetching guide data for 370 stations in USA-CA54023-X @ 2018-12-02 3:30AM
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
what(): std::bad_alloc
SIGABRT: abort
PC=0xd2ef87 m=8 sigcode=18446744073709551610

goroutine 0 [idle]:
runtime: unknown pc 0xd2ef87
stack: frame={sp:0x7effaa06b9f8, fp:0x0} stack=[0x7effa986c108,0x7effaa06bd08)

1 Like

Looks like maybe you're running out of memory?

Yea check the Synology cpu/memory monitor to see what is using up all your RAM.

You can also try wiping the guide data clean by uninstalling and reinstalling the Synology app. When you start the new install pick the "Restore Wizard" option at the bottom of the login screen.

Thanks for the responses!
Currently I have 2GB memory in my DS218+
I have been running websites and plan to experiment with Docker. So I should probably install more memory anyway.
My crashes have been pretty infrequent, I believe I have had a total of 3 crashes. Again, it seems like I always have to start the process twice whenever it crashes. I will try wiping guide data next time this happens.

Right now, my memory shows 57% consumed in the resource monitor. Here is the list of processes, sorted by memory consumption. If you see anything out of whack let me know.

I had another crash, so I uninstalled, and re-installed the Synology app as suggested, using the Restore wizard. So far so good, and I noticed that Channels is using a lot less memory now (~65MB now, vs. ~350MB before reinstalling).

Hopefully I won't see any more crashes.
If guide data was causing the issue, I'd suggest adding a button to flush guide data so re-installing wouldn't be necessary. BTW, it was a bit confusing finding the location of the backups in the restore wizard, but I figured it out.

Thanks again for the quick support suggestion.

Is that not what the trashcan icon, next to the guide data info, under Basic Setup does?

I believe that icon removes the tuner as a source, and assigning a guide source to the tuner adds it back. While it doesn't technically flush the guide data or clear, I believe the results are basically the same.

Had another crash today. Same error when fetching guide data:
2018/12/03 09:28:47 [DVR] Fetching guide data for 370 stations in USA-CA54023-X @ 2018-12-07 3:00AM
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::bad_alloc'
what(): std::bad_alloc
SIGABRT: abort
PC=0xd2ef87 m=0 sigcode=18446744073709551610

Looking back on the log, yesterday, the guide updates started at 9AM:
2018/12/02 09:00:00 [DVR] Fetching guide data for 370 stations in USA-CA54023-X @ 2018-12-02 9:00AM
2018/12/02 09:00:15 [DVR] indexed 3018 airings (370 channels) [5s fetch, 9s index]
2018/12/02 09:00:17 [DVR] indexed 234 movies (71 channels) [1s fetch, 0s index]

Guide data was fetched until about 9:38AM, then the pruning and DVR rules ran.

Today, guide data fetch started at 9:12AM, then crashed at about 9:29AM

It doesn't seem like I should be running out of memory. Currently, my 2GB RAM is 38% utilized.

Any further debug steps or ideas? I can send in my log file if it helps.
Thanks!

Please email the full log to [email protected]

I think memory usage is spiking and have an idea of how to fix it.

Also can you check what version of the SPK you have installed?

Just mailed the log file to support email.
I am running v1.0.4, just downloaded a few days ago when I reinstalled to clear out the guide data.
Thanks @tmm1

Thanks for the logs.

I've published a new DVR pre-release build with a fix. Can you hold SHIFT on your keyboard and click the Check for Updates button on the DVR web UI. Let me know if it happens again after upgrading.

Thanks!!!
Will install the pre-release in a couple hours when I get home. I won't know for a few days whether it's fixed, but I promise you'll hear from me if it isn't :slight_smile: