DVR Database 2nd network storage path error -13

I'm getting "recording not found (-13)" when trying to watch a movie moved to a 2nd storage path to a synology NAS fileshare location. I run the DVR service on a windows PC. Sure it's user error, looking for next step help...

I was running low on my windows PC local hardrive space: I have a dedicated harddrive on the PC used only for channels DVR
F:\

I added a 2nd storage path location via the Channels setting web interface: \\DISKSTATION\movies\ChannelsDVRExtension

Then I moved all files in the existing directory to the new location using the windows file explorer:
F:\movies
to
\\DISKSTATION\movies\ChannelsDVRExtension\Movies

Post the move I get the "recording not found (-13)" error when trying to access any of the movies - it seems the DVR server isn't finding them at the 2nd storage location.

Tried "regenerate search index" in the Channels web settings, tried adding another storage path to the "Movies" subdirectory in case the DVR wasn't recursing the new location. None of those solved the error.

Looking for next steps. Thanks!

Is there a message in the DVR log under Support menu

1 Like

Yes, I see an error in the logfile when I try to view. Seems like it isn't looking in the new location, only the old F: drive.

[ERR] Recording 1180 (Movies\A Wrinkle in Time (2018) 2021-02-25-1029.mpg) missing: CreateFile F:\Movies\A Wrinkle in Time (2018) 2021-02-25-1029.mpg: The system cannot find the file specified.

In case it is relevant, the 2nd storage location was added to the
"DVR Database" section of the web interface. It shows both paths:

Storage Paths   F:\
                \\DISKSTATION\movies\ChannelsDVRExtension
1 Like

Okay. I think there's a bug where additional storage doesn't work with UNC network paths

You could try a mapped drive as workaround for now

I have the diskstation share(s) mapped in Windows.
But I don't see the network share mappings as an option in the Channels additional storage directory options - only my C: E: and F: physical hard drives appear.

Is there a windows setting change that allows Channels to see the mapped network drives? Or a setting change I should make in the Diskstation to allow Channels to see the share?

Mapped drives are per Windows user account and mounted at login.
Channels DVR doesn't run as your user name on Windows.

1 Like

Do the mapped drives appear in http://127.0.0.1:8089/system/disk

No network maps appear. Only the physical hard drives.

[{"device":"C:","mountpoint":"C:","fstype":"NTFS","opts":["rw","compress"]},{"device":"E:","mountpoint":"E:","fstype":"NTFS","opts":["rw","compress"]},{"device":"F:","mountpoint":"F:","fstype":"NTFS","opts":["rw","compress"]}]

The maps are Synology "windows file service" right now. Synology has options for Mac File Service and NFS that are not being used currently.

If you are running as a service, you may need to map your drive as system and not as the user. My backup softwre runs as a service and won't see my network drives. I have a batch file to map them that I use windows task scheduler to run as system on boot. You can find that and a few different suggestions here

2 Likes

Assuming everyone has at least read access to your Synology shared directory
\\DISKSTATION\movies\ChannelsDVRExtension
(I think Channels DVR runs as a system service on Windows and not a user account).

You could create a symbolic directory link in Windows on F: pointing to the UNC path of the shared folder directory on your Synology, from an elevated (admin) command prompt in Windows.
mklink /D F:\morestorage \\DISKSTATION\movies\ChannelsDVRExtension
Then add F:\morestorage as an additional storage path in Channels DVR.

The easiest way is to just autologin and not run channels DVR as a service ... That would solve the sharing issues.

Must be a Channels DVR on Windows thing?
I assume then that Channels DVR would only run as a specified user and only start on login?

2 Likes

It would run under the user that autologins which would have administrator privileges ... then you can just browse the network and add the NAS Shares. It makes it a lot easier to add future shares.

Autologon - Sysinternals | Microsoft Learn

Didn't know that since I run mine on Synology NAS's
and this doesn't mention it

You could setup an non-Administrator user but that also leads to other headaches.

I have been running the DVR server as a windows service. Will try running it directly after auto login and stopping the service and see if that solves the issue...

If this post is accurate, it looks like you may be missing a backslash at the beginning of the UNC path.

Thanks all, this is now solved.

The UNC path I'd tried earlier was using both //Diskstation, it was a cut and paste type in the forum that showed only 1 backslash. So that wasn't the solution

1 - Now running the Channels DVR directly with autologin and run on startup NOT as a windows service.
2 - Used the symbolic link as suggested above in my F drive to the UNC share.

2 Likes

Good to hear it worked for you.
Here's a little more info on Windows mklink https://www.computerhope.com/mklink.htm