DVR Database Scheduling and Deletion

1. Is there any way to alter or control when the server creates the DVR Database backup file?
  2. Is there any way to limit the number of backup files created?

What are you actually trying to do or accomplish?

Had a situation yesterday where the SSD locked up when rebooting after an OS update. Could not figure out how to get it to come to life so I re-imaged the drive. Recordings were on another drive. The last database backup did not reflect the fact that there were 2 additional recordings since the last backup which meant when I did a restore those 2 recordings did not show up in the library. I had to move them and import them. Not a big deal other than it exposed a gap. The backup really needs to run probably tw

The backup probably needs to run at least once sometime after midnight, then maybe again 12 hours later. Would be nice to have some control over this.

As far as limiting the amount of backups, I see no point in having more than probably 14 days worth of backups. Every time I have used "restore" it is always with the last or 2nd last backup.

Sorry, this is a RPi setup

There is a button on the settings page to make a backup. You could copy the curl call for that from your browser and automate it with crontab or similar.

There's no way to limit number of backups at the moment. They're pretty small so it hasn't come up.

Yikes, all Greek to me. So what triggers a database backup in the first place?

I tried to follow this advice to create a crontab job to do a database backup more frequently, but I can't figure out how to identify the url called to make a curl call for this. Right-clicking on the menu button for "Save database backup" and copying the url, but it is just a url to (server-ip)/admin/settings/general/# which isn't much use. I loaded up chrome developer tools, but couldn't find a url in the Network monitor tab when clicking on that option either.
Is there a good resource that documents what these urls calls that are available for use? You've recommended a curl call for a variety of features over the years, so knowing what is available would be really useful.

He recommended looking into it yourself because we don’t document the actual api calls because we don’t necessarily support this.

You would be using the Private api. And while we don’t mind, and it’s something you can actually do, we’re not keen on spelling it out for you, because at the end of the day, it’s not technically supported.

To find this out, you need to use web developer tools to see what the api call is.