DVR operation when Internet is out

We had an Internet/Cable TV outage recently due to some bad weather. When I attempted to access the Channels DVR web gui on the win 10 server computer, there were long delays in getting the pages to load. Once loaded, I went to the guide and scheduled a couple programs to record via antenna while the Internet was out, and neither of them recorded, or had any record of them being set to record.

When I finally accessed the Web gui DVR>manage and it listed all the programs, show images were missing which does make some sense, however on those shows that were missing their image, I couldn't click on the program to actually play it. I really need to be able to watch the news to see what was happening.

I realize that the server needs an internet connection for guide data and remote hosting, but is this the expected activity when Internet is unavailable? Have you guys run scenarios of how the software reacts when the Internet cable is pulled? The server should be able to handle local OTA recordings without issue even without Internet service for a day or two.

1 Like

My internet has been out a few times, due to ISP outage or storm, or person unplugged the ethernet cable to the router from wall jack thinking it was a lamp cord :man_shrugging:

Channels DVR worked and loaded fine on the Shield. Local OTA via antenna stations were the only ones that loaded. Her soap operas recorded fine. TVE channels would just give time out error.

This is only "short" outages, of max 8hrs though. If the server goes to long without being able to update guide data, then it may not function as well.

Sometimes if the internet goes out it can screw with the router. Not usually however.

This is unexpected.

Please submit diagnostics.

I have experienced this before, it's a bug.

Depends on the ISP connection type, and user network hardware.
All ISP provide router/modem combo units suck.
Some of those, even brand name off the shelf routers, will kill or just have issues across the board local LAN side, if it looses its WAN connection.

I have no ISP modem, i have direct connect via wall jack to ISP switch backbone in my complex, and have my own Router (Ubiquiti EdgeRouter 12) and other switches.
If WAN connection is lost or does not respond, the only thing that happens is that anything trying to load something from the internet, times out. Local LAN communications are not affected,

1 Like

When I've done this from the support part of the web gui, it hasn't given what was needed. What exactly do I need to provide you with? Is there a history of logs from the Internet outage period, zip up, and provide?

I use my own router connected through a cable modem.

Sometimes Windows puts a lot of resources into trying to make a connection where none is possible. Try this. Unplug your ethernet cable from the back of the server. Then reboot the server. Then see if pages still take a long time to load. If not, you now know what is causing the problem. You obviously need the network for anything meaningful, so you can try things like disconnecting from your cable modem and rebooting your router.

1 Like

I had missed the part where he said Windows 10 server.......this offline experience must be related to that.

I use the Channels Image on a RPi, before than, an Intel NUC with Linux.

I run Plex , Channels, Emby plus SageTV on a Windows 10 Pro PC and have no problems what so ever. Been running it since Windows 10 came out. Record to Windows Storage Spaces.

Ok, so turn off your internet connection...see if u can reproduce the OP's issues.

I am just saying, have not had this happen on any Linux based Channels DVR server.
(but also stated before, their issues could also be in their network hardware)

Been there done that had Internet do down for a full day truck took down my cable line .... the only thing missing was the Images. I recommend hard coded Ip's on the server and main Clients. Reserving on the router is ok ... but it is best to also use static IP.s

2 Likes

I need the diagnostics from the web UI first

was going to chime in on this as well - recommend the static IPs for sure.

I realize this is an old topic, but just started having an issue.

My internet has been down for a couple days. I had scheduled a recording of a show. But it appears the recording started 30 minutes late. I checked the time setting in Channels and it seems to be set ok.

I'm running on a RPI.

EDIT: When I said I checked the time on Channels server all I can see is the time zone. The guide seems to be correct. Is there any way to actually see the time in the RPI?

Pretty sure the RPi syncs it time with an internet NTP server.
Good question, not sure how to view the current time on the RPi.

This all started with a power outage followed by the internet outage. So the rip lost time at the power outage then could not get an update.

If I had known the time was off I could have adjusted the recording. Maybe someone knows how to check the time on an rpi.

From the original RPi Topic

Appears that is syncs with time.cloudflare.com

Command to see the current time on rpi is:

date