DVR Recording SD broadcasts instead of HD if channel

The DVR has started recording the SD version of shows instead of the HD. I thought it was isolated, but seeing it now on more recordings. Seems to happen only with my Prime

I know I can restrict passes to channels but I thought it was supposed to defer to the HD channels. This have started with the silicon dust guide data update.

Can you list some example channel numbers of SD vs HD on your setup?

Saw it with Disney XD which shows as channels 1722, 781, 251. 781 is HD, 251 is SD. I think 1722 is also SD, but I’ve never paid attention to the 4 digit channels. This is on FiOS.

Also saW it with TNT. 51,551,1501. 551 is the HD channel.

Okay that explains it. The logic at the moment simply prefers channels with higher numbers.

I’ll fix the DVR to look at the HD flag on the channels when prioritizing recording.

Thanks.

This has been fixed. Thanks for reporting!

We have two sets of PBS channels where we are, and often they have different broadcast times. In addition, we have both a .1 (HD) and a .2 (SD) on each. It would be convenient to have simple option when setting up a pass that allows either HD (in such a way that an HDHomeRun Dual identifies it as such) or a specific channel number to be specified, as at the moment it seems to be ending up with the .2 channel from the first set of PBS channels sometimes. Thanks.

On the web UI, if you search for the show and click Manage Series Pass, you can enter a channel number to restrict recordings to one specific channel.

Do you have any plans to introduce series pass channel selection option within the ATV DVR client? I only seem to be able to achieve this currently via the web DVR UI.

Essentially I want to create a series pass for a show on the ATV client, but the show in question runs several seasons across several channels, most of which are SD. The web DVR allows me to specify a channel for the series pass, but the ATV client does not?

Yea advanced pass settings on ATV are planned

I you don’t need them, disabling the SD channels (either via the HDHR or DVR/Channels interface) may be the next best thing. Painful with 4 primes and disabling those initially (example, almost we get 500 channels of which only ~180 are HD, in English, not religious/shopping/etc and not DRMd.

Unless I am missing something, my Channels DVR still records shows on disabled channels. For example, I record a handful of PBS shows. 8.1 is HD and 8.2 is SD. I have 8.2 disabled on my Apple TV, but the DVR will record season passes on 8.2. I just solve this by adjusting the DVR settings so that the Season Pass is limited to 8.1 like tmm1 recommended above.

Were you able to disable the channels and keep the DVR from recording them?

You need to disable the channel on the DVR’s web interface.

Wild. I clicked the pencil icon next to the DVR assuming that’s where the setting would hide. Didn’t realize it was under the “XX channels” hyperlink. Thanks for pointing this out. Would recommend having an option in the future to sync the AppleTV / DVR settings for channel disable / hearts in the future.

I had the same need, wanting to only record the HD version of PBS shows. My solution was to edit the Advanced setup, adding a Condition for Channel of CONTAINS “.1”. That did the trick, filtering out the SD’s. Once thing I noticed later was the delete of rule seems to follow the current pass rule. I have it set to keep the “last 10” but it was not deleting the .2 recorded shows on that series that were recorded before I added the .1 filter. I cleaned it up by hand easily.