DVR Recordings taking forever to start

I have updated the DVR app running in my WD PR2100 and the actual app on the Apple TV. When I click on a recording it spins for several minutes before starting. On occasions, it closes the selection and goes back to the recording menu. This problem just started this evening, this was prior to updating the apps. When the recording hits the commercial skip section on the timeline it pauses yet again and I am not able to fast forward while it is spinning. I have tried restarting the NAS, and still no change. This is happening on all iterations of the app, the DVR App, the original purchased app, and the Beta. The odd part is the recordings start immediately on any iOS device like my iPhone and iPad.

At anytime while I am watching a recording, it takes 30 to 40 seconds to catch up if I rewind or fast forward.

I had an issue with this several months ago. Deleting the app on the Apple TV and reinstalling it did the trick for me (although it sounds like you may have tried this from your description).

Sounds like one of either two issues. The first could be the drive in your NAS is starting to fail. The second sounds like it could be a network issue. (Or even a combination of both.)

Have you done any diagnostics on your drive(s)? Anything else going on with the NAS? Does it run other servers? Is its firmware up to date?

Have you recently changed anything about your network (including adding new devices). Are you doing all of this wired? Are some devices connecting wirelessly? If so, which ones?

I can't guarantee that this line of thought will solve your problem, but more information is always better than less.

1 Like