Dvr recordings towards the end are choppy

It’s possible you’re hitting a windows specific networking issue. Try changing your ethernet adapter’s “flow control” setting to off. See Windows DVR BUG: Glitches during recording

I’ll check the setting and see what happens! Thank you!

@TeddyR can you upload a recording to google drive and send me a link?

i have a few of these recordings… so far they seem to be on one channel. dunno if you are in the bay area but most of the NHK shows on 22.3 (KCRB, NHK world subchannel) seem to do this.

Seeing the Same. Seems to be last 60 seconds of a show. Seeing it on multiple channels and recordings. (CW and NBC). If it help when I watched the same shows (to see if there was a recording problem) in the Web Client, they played smoothly.

Can you try a TestFlight build from before 9/26 and see if the same issue occurs on those recordings?

Also please submit diagnostics when you see the issue.

So far from @TeddyR’s logs it appears to be some sort of bug in the player where it gets confused at the end of the file and keeps trying to buffer more data.

For recordings where this problem occurs, does it occur every time you try to play the end of that recording? Does it happen in the iOS app too?

Tried several other test builds with varying results. Most notable:

8.16.1733 - No problems with the example recording or 3 others

9.17.2130 and several other s after 9.17: Problems with the example recordings

maybe @OurFamilySpot can also try the 8.16.1733 build to see if it is also ok for his setup?

I’ve just started using Channels this week and have been experiencing this same issue. I can also confirm that playback of the mpeg file in another player works fine, but when played back from Channels, the last 30s - 60s or so are choppy. I have a few standalone recordings that playback fine, but the recordings that occurred back-to-back with other recordings have the issue. I am running version 2017.10.13.0017 of the DVR software on my QNAP TS-451+ NAS and version 3.0.3 of the tvos app. I have only recorded a handful of back-to-back recordings so far, but each one has this issue.

1 Like

This is much earlier than I expected, but really helpful in narrowing down the issue.

What about the 9.15 build?

checked/rechecked the following:

9.15.678 : issue
9.14.1430 : issue
9.12.204 : issue
8.16.1733 : Good; (a single quick “hiccup” right where the issue starts on the other builds but barely noticeable compared to the other builds)

Sorry been travelling. Back home today. You still need me to test?

Okay I finally figured out how to reproduce this bug. It only happens with closed captions turned on.

Yes! Nice job troubleshooting this. I can confirm that toggling closed captions is what causes the issue for me. I tested the recordings where I was experiencing the choppiness and turning off captions immediately resolves the issue; the problem returns when captions are turned back on.

1 Like

This is fixed in the latest testflight beta.

1 Like

Confirmed. Issue is gone with latest build on all recordings that were affected.

1 Like

Also able to confirm, everything is playing smooth to the very end. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi,

Stumbled across this post as since getting DVR both live and recorded video has been cutting in/out.

Turning off the closed captions has helped with choppyness / cutting in out but not fixed it.

I see some messages in the log as:
2017/10/14 17:24:41 [WRN] Buffer for 1230A59E ch101 is more than 50% full (clients=1, len=16777684)
2017/10/14 17:24:49 [WRN] Buffer for 1230A59E ch101 is more than 50% full (clients=1, len=16777952)

Is this in anyway related? Why does live TV now buffer through the DVR and not just play direct?

Sorry to hijack the thread is this is unrelated.

You can turn this off by disabling Tuner Sharing in the app’s Settings tab.

If your DVR is on wifi instead of Ethernet, then turning it off is recommended.

Thanks, @tmm1. How do I access the testflight beta?