Dvr recordings towards the end are choppy

Hello Hello all !, during this past week ive been catching up on my shows, and ive noticed that towards the end of the Recording the shows (all of them) appear to slow down slightly and become choppy, they are fine towards the beginning and throughout it seems the last five or so mins of the show. Anybody else experienced this behavior ?

Yes I appear to also be experiencing this, particularly with longer recordings

Does it happen if you leave the player and then resume watching at the same place?

Not sure if its the same issue, For me I noticed this but only when there are multiple recordings going on and several back to back recordings from the same channel. The recordings that are choppy towards the end are the back to back recordings; set for 1 min after; 30 seconds before. The playback on the “next” show (the 30 secs repeated from the previous 1 min end of the first show) is fine.

Tuner sharing turned on, Using Primes for these recordings. Recordings are mpeg2.

If you play the files with VLC on the computer do you see that same thing?

It’s happening on my Dvr recordings most of the time. Maybe a symptom of back to back recordings on the same channel perhaps?

Any errors or warning in the DVR’s Log from during when the recordings were happening?

Tried with 2 other players (vlc and the default player in High Sierra). In my case the playback using those players was fine. The playback using the latest ATV beta 10.3.114 (but also happens on previous ones) still exhibited the issue. DVR Log does not show any issues while the ATV is playing (choppy near the end). Just tried to playback the end of a show and sent diags using the beta.

Interestingly, the issue is still only on recordings that have something coming after them on the same channel back to back. Testing with a one off and it was fine.

Can you submit diagnostics again but only play the recording for a couple seconds.

Diags just sent.

Thanks. One more time playing beginning few seconds of the file (which plays correctly)?

Diags just submitted… (playing the beginning of the show without choppiness)

Additional info: beta 10.4.2343 as well 3.0.2 store version both exhibit the issue. DVR currently on 2017.10.05.1806 Waiting to upgrade to 2017.10.05.2234.

In the beta app, do you have Home transcoding turned on?

i am also seeing this problem, latest app store tvos client as of this morning, and whatever was just prior to server version 2017.10.05.2234.

rob

Home Streaming set to “Original”

I’m having a really hard time reproducing this issue. Is it happening on all recordings, or only some?

I tried on my Apple TV 4K running 11.0, and Apple TV 4 running 11.1 Beta.

Only on the recordings that also have a recording following them back to back on the same channel. The recordings are set for -30s/+1min.

Easiest test… find a “Law and Order” marathon (plenty of those around) and record multiple (2-4) episodes back to back.

Using an ATV4 on 11

It almost seems, though not sure, that something on the second recording is interfering or causing issues with the last minutes of the first recording…

That’s weird because the recordings play fine in other players, so it seems more like a player issue than an issue with the file.

How close to the end do you get before it starts stuttering?

Let me try some back-to-back recordings…

I just tried two back-to-back and it played fine.

I’m pretty sure it has nothing to do with the recorded file, but maybe you can send me a recording and I’ll try playing it here to see if it does the same thing.

I have been seeing choppy playback recently as well. I thought it was disk related when it happened a few months back, so I replaced the disk with a WD Purple and the issue seemed to go away mostly. However, it seems to be back. What is common is that these are heavy recording times. I’m wondering if this is more related to the server now that Windows 10 Creator’s update has been installed and there are more files to process for commercials while recording multiple cablecard streams at the same time? My issue is at the file level, I can play the file in any player and it cuts out, goes choppy green, then the image comes back and catches up with the sound. Nothing appears to be out of the ordinary in the log.

Hardware seems like it should be able to handle the processing. I don’t know that it matters, but there’s an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 with 2 gb VRAM. I don’t know if that us taken advantage of with the DVR engine though.

Sorry if this isn’t related to the issue being discussed here.

OS
powerspec B351
Windows Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
10.0.15063 Build 15063

CPU
4 cores / Intel® Core™ i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz
RAM
4.28 GB
54.0% free