DVR Server on Shield Causing "Storage critically low"

Did you format at ExFAT or NTFS? NTFS can cause problems like that.

Are these studders with live tv, tve, dvr recordings, or everything? What model number is your external drive?

Happens on all of the above. I don't recall an option for format type. I just selected erase and reformat as external device.
Visit the Seagate Store

Seagate Portable 5TB External Hard Drive HDD – USB 3.0 for PC, Mac, PS4, & Xbox - 1-Year Rescue Service (STGX5000400), Black

Eject external storage on shield and plug it in to a computer and look at the properties to check the format. You can also check to see if your dvr recordings are on it. Reformat to exFat if needed. Protect recordings before reformatting

Thanks, will try that. How do I protect recordings before reformat?

Copy them to your computer hard drive. Also use the computer to format the external not the shield

Checked disc. It is in fact formatted as exFAT and does have my recordings on it. What do you suggest next?

Does that have an external power supply or is it powered by the Shield. Self powered hard drives are intended to be used on sharing data etc... Not really intended for extensive usage.

Update:. I noticed when viewing my files that there were duplicate file folders. Although I had the path set up correctly, I moved all files to the default folder of "DVR" and deleted the duplicates. I then re-established the correct path on the WI. It then seemed to work fine on the Shield, but still not working well on the Fire stick client. I since removed as client on the WI, and restarted the Fire stick. Now seems to be working well. Will continue to monitor, but hopefully good to go.
Drive is powered by the Shield BTW

On your Shield under device preferences/system settings set USB mode to max peformance ... and USB ports to always on.

That's a rather slow external drive - not a knock, it is just how it is designed. When I had similar problems with my Shield, my external storage was being used for recordings but I was still having to clear app cache, and junk files on the internal storage because I just had so many apps and wanted to run them in fast internal storage. The Shield forum users kept suggesting (so I bought one) 500G Sandisk extreme portable SSD, and formatted it as internal storage. Now I have 512G of internal storage fast enough for gaming and the many video/TV apps I use and 4TB of external storage for recordings. Everything works better. Also, if you ever wonder what's happening with data on your Shield, download X-Plore File Manager - gives you a windows like file/folder view of everything on your Shield.

Update to my situation. Despite working well for a while with my new Seagate 5TB and updated settings, regret to inform it once again failed. I since decided to use an old WD 1TB mypassport drive to see if it behaved any differently - and it has. It now works flawlessly, and has so for quite some time. My suspicion is this is a Shield issue - can't use a drive that large. I googled this issue and found some others struggling outside of channels DVR application.
Now it appears I have a very large backup drive - no big deal, just annoying. So far I haven't come close to utilizing my 1TB drive; hopefully that remains the case. Just thought I'd pass this along in case anyone is considering this drive (or perhaps other large USB drives)

1 Like

Well, now I'm back to the same issue storage critically low. The oddity is that the storage meter recognizes the external drive and reflects that there is plenty of space there. However, in the shield's app storage it shows the DVR using 10 GB which is causing the low storage. Any thoughts? I checked the web settings and I have the external drive selected

Guide and other databases are stored on the device, and must be taking up space.

If you can't free up space, then the only other solution is to add another small usb flash drive and set it up as adopted device storage.

But I don't hear others with this issue in the Shield? And I have very few apps installed

Do I change any settings after I install the small flash USB? I don't get how that will help if it's taking up almost 10gb up on internal storage. It also seems to accumulate over a couple months time having wiped it a couple times.