DVR State of the Union - April 2016

Well we’re still within the two months where we shouldn’t see a beta, so no, probably not soon.

Updated Beta (still using SD Engine) just posted. Extends our current beta until the Channels (Engine) DVR Beta is released.

Thank you to Aman and Jon…we can rest easier now.

Can one still get on the SD beta to help convince the wife to let go of the cable DVR? :smiley:

Got the new bata but it won’t open? My NAS must have updated to the newer SD recording engine?

No not really. It require some DVR software from Silicon Dust, and that’s no longer around. Their recent version (and the only version available now) is no longer compatible with Channels. Even if Channels let you in the Beta, there would be nowhere for you got get the backend DVR software.

That Sucks. My DVR quit working about 3 weeks ago.

You may want to check out my tread. You should be able to download the April Version which still works. See my topic below. But it does require a manual install. The Windows installer will always download the current version. BUT, I am hoping we will see a New DVR Beta from Channels in early July. They said it would be at least 2 months.

HDHomeRun DVR 05-12-2016 - Channels will not start

I know, but if SD arn’t supporting Channels anymore as they are pushing into the Android market, Channels are hardly going to let more people into a Beta that’s dead and ready to be buried.
Roll on the new Channels back end DVR. Hopefully see something new soon. They seem to have gone quiet on most subjects and seem to be only responding to urgent issues now. Hopefully this is a sign that they are hard at work and building up to something within the next 60days. Not that the UK will see anything for a while :’-(

I guess I need to order an nvidia shield to keep my wife happy.

No, no, no. I was talking about the Beta that someone else was talking about ffs. Yes you can fix it. Don’t buy a shield!!!

You need to get a bit of software called putty. Use it to stop your recording engine. Then find the older 28/04/16 update and swap the files with the 11/05/16 update that’s on your NAS. Then use putty to restart the NAS. It’s that simple.
It is literally a case of deleting one file and then copy and pasting in the older one. There’s a separate thread for this issue under troubleshooting. When you use putty, it’s mostly command codes, but there’s a page on the silicon dust forum that tells you exactly what to type.
Oh, and whatever you do, don’t ever use that HDHR app on your PC again. If you do it’ll update to the newer software and kill channels.

Silly question, to which I suspect I know the answer. But…

For those of us already on the old HDHR DVR Beta. Will we be able to migrate either existing recordings, and/or the recording settings (what to record, season, only new, etc…) to the new back end or will it be a fresh start?

Hi bud. I suspect not. None of the recording rules are stored in channels, they are all in the HDHR DVR software stored on your NAS or server. The instillation of any new DVR software will almost certainly completely wipe the old one and leave us no way to transfer rules.
As for old recording, I’d recommend backing them up on another hard drive before installing the new DVR software after its release. You could then try transferring a copy of them back into the recordings folder of the new software. If it doesn’t work, then at least you’ll be still able to watch them on another device, or they may even play on Infuse (a TVOS media player a bit like Plex that works with just a NAS) I’ll let you know if this works as I’m going to try and play a channels recording through it a bit later tonight.

Annoying, begging, pathetic request for news on the Channels DVR Beta… :slight_smile: So much IOS goodness my AppleTV is feeling jealous and neglected.:sob:

Blame iOS :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

We’ll have some more news soon, promise!

2 Likes

Will channels dvr work with over the air dvb stream guide data? As per attached image in NZ we get good info on what the show is about.

*removed image of iOS beta

Hi. Check out this: International Guide Data

For the DVR Beta well the individuals that had been beta testing Channels automatically be accepted into the beta testing or do we need to ask in the forum list for entry into the beta program? If so I’m asking!

Will channels ever be ported to Android? I would much rather use this than SD View. That way I can also have ONE DVR that can work across everything because SD just isn’t cutting it anymore. I have a SHIELD TV and Apple TV. It would be great to have one app for all devices,. you guys can do this right! SD has the hardware but not the software, YOU GUYS have the software. If there is any chance for me to be in ANY BETA (Already using the iOS Beta (loving it) please let me know!

I bought channels about 3 weeks ago and love it. I also would love to be part of a dvr beta test.

Can I be part of DVR beta?