DVR State of the Union - December 2016

I can’t wait either!

1 Like

welp, i’m sorry i missed all of this. i would have liked to alpha test this stuff - i have been using DVR software for 10+ years now, starting with mythtv on linux with PCI tuner cards… hopefully the public beta starts soon. eyeTV is getting old for me!

@ryboflavins i don’t think TS would support chapter marks. i think eyetv uses sidecar files to indicate commercial skips…

I thought that might be the case but wasn’t sure. Also not sure how well Plex works with .EDL’s or other chapter marker file if the DVR were to output them.

I would like to run this on an ARM-64 SOC that is not on the NAS list. Will the software be available as source, .deb or binary packages for arm64?

We have aarch64 builds but have not been publishing them, as I was not aware of any devices using it.

Can you message me with details about the hardware and OS, with the output of “uname -a” and “cat /proc/cpuinfo”

Is there timing on the DVR release? I feel like I missed an announcement somewhere with the beta signup which is a bummer.

Do we have a release date yet, I thought I read somewhere that it was the 2nd week of January 2017?

Re: Chapter marks, one way around the lack of support for TS is to move the recording into an MKV container, as can be done on Plex DVR, and add the chapter marks in there. I’m not sure how that would work if you were live viewing the TS, though.

yes, funny you should mention that - i don’t know a lot about that container format but yesterday i noticed that mkv can support that kind of metadata.

Technically, so can mp4, but mp4 doesn’t support MPEG-2 transport streams.

Agreed. I feel like I missed an announcement or something with so many people talking about it.

Some people have been invited privately so we can start testing the signup and billing portions so we have things right when DVR goes live.

Shouldn’t be long now everyone. You can expect a big post about it in the Announcement section when everything is ready.

Thanks!

1 Like

Awesome. Appreciate the response and looking forward to it.

Agreed! Thanks for the quick response.

Channels DVR is now available in a Public Beta. You can learn more about it on the announcement thread

Tivo does not charge subscription fees for minis which extend the experience to as many tvs as you need (based on tuner count of your tivo). The way you use tivos today is to buy the primary cablecard/ota unit with 4/8 tuners and then a set of minis for your house.

each mini is independent to watch and control any channel/recording.

TiVo does if you need more tuners. I have a Bolt, so if I wanted to get more tuners, I need another device, and that’s another $15 a month plus the cost of the device.

I would argue thats not a common use case so why present it as such. A single 4 or 6 tuner tivo with minis is the norm.

Not the norm? My dad has three, everyone that I work with that has a TiVo has at least two. I’m the only one with a TiVo that I know that only has one (and I’m about to sell it).

:raised_hand: I just disconnected two TiVos. I’m immedialty saving $28 a month.

And I’ve had 2 for like 15 years :scream_cat:

1 Like