DVR State of the Union - July 2016

Disappointed that a UK and other country releases are a way out if ever. I will likely continue to use Eye TV to record and Channels to watch live in the meantime as that works kind of OK for me. Also exploring DVBLink but to say it’s not as pretty is an understatement. And Geniatech are also apparently working on an ATV4 app for Eye TV so it’s possible that may get there before Channels and beat you to the UK and European market with a nice-looking interface. Maybe even DVBLink will get someone on their team who isn’t completely style-blind.

I’m not quitting channels yet, then. And I do understand your priorities for development. But I do feel pretty disgruntled that I took part in the beta programs for both ATV and iOS releases then paid full whack for both and in return will get very much less capability than folks paying very similar amount of money in the US and Canada. That just simply is not fair pricing. You guys really need to reconsider that strategy. I take part in many software betas and I get treated much better by other developers. If you want to retain the interest and goodwill of a previously very loyal UK and RoW beta community you would do well to consider some kind of recognition for the help we have given you in our own time.

2 Likes

Everybody paying for Channels anywhere in the world is getting the same functionality that’s described in the App store listing.
The DVR will cost more, so those that have access to it will pay more.

Well OK if that’s really true, but I remember one of the developers a few months back explaining the high price for the app on the basis that new DVR functionality would be added to the main app and be included all in the one price. Happy to be told if that has now changed but will believe it when I see it from the developers.

1 Like

Hi Does the Eve tv software work with Homerun HD in the UK, and how do you get the files playing on your Apple TV?

Thanks

Yes Eye TV works with HDHomeRun Connect in the UK to record and view UK HD and SD channels. Eye TV has a feature which allows you to automatically export recordings and add them to iTunes, so that you can then access them via the ‘Computers’ tile on the Apple TV - they are added as TV shows in your iTunes library - you need to enable Home Sharing in iTunes for this to work. The export creates artwork by using a snapshot from the video stream and creates metadata in iTunes from the guide data, so it works pretty nicely. Also since the files are in iTunes you can use the Videos app on any iOS device to play them back around the house.

The main issue with this setup is that the export process transcodes the file which takes quite a while, so the recording is typically first available an hour or more after the end of the show airing. So it’s not for everyone but in my case I have got used to watching shows a night or more after they are aired anyway and for most things it doesn’t make much difference. For live watching I just use channels and for starting to watch a show from the beginning starting part way through the airing I have to hope it’s on BBC and use the iPlayer app!

There is a better way of doing this - use Remote Buddy https://www.iospirit.com. There is a companion Remote Buddy tvOS app called “Remote Buddy Display” which you can use to watch and control EyeTV all from your Apple TV 4 while using the apple TV remote. You can watch live TV, pause and rewind, view the TV guide in a grid and also watch recordings immediately. You need to have Remote Buddy installed on your mac and Remote Buddy Display installed on your Apple TV 4. A bonus is that if you have eyeTV comskip installed on your Mac, you will have the ads removed from your recordings - this can be difficult to set up and comskip takes some time to remove the ads once the recording is complete.

Nice tip! Thanks Nigel, I will take a look at that.

One thing occurs to me about that setup: I have EyeTV running on my main Mac Mini since I don’t have a dedicated Mac for this. If I use Remote Buddy does EyeTV then take over the screen of whoever is using the Mac at the time with Eye TV? I want someone to be able to use the Mac for other things at the same time as I am using the TV. Is that possible with a Remote Buddy setup as you describe it?

So its like a Remote Desktop? Is it laggy at all

Thanks, I will give it a go I don’t suppose there is a version for NAS rather than leaving my MacBook on all the time ?

Hi Just to be clear, there is no movement on not supporting UK out of the gate? I looks like you have a strong following here it seems a shame, but you are a business and understand that you have to make a profit I assume UK is out of scope for this?

EyeTV doesn’t have a NAS option so you need to have a Mac running the whole time for it to work. But you don’t need the app itself open - it run as a service in the background to do recordings even if the app isn’t open. And you can allow the Mac to sleep and it will wake to do a recording then go to sleep again, so minimising any impact from having the mac ‘on’ all the time.

Nice thats sounds great, where did you get the eye tv software is there a trial, also just came across this https://itunes.apple.com/tr/app/livezapp-for-eyetv/id1064882643?mt=8 this could be a start

EyeTV is £80!! But you can buy a cheap tuner from eBay and get the software for free.

I just did this, yesterday in fact. Cost me £20 for a USB tuner but got a free code for EyeTV.

Also, I tried LiveZapp when it was first released. Awful app. Would not work at all.

http://shop-en.geniatech.eu/software/eyetv-3/ if you want to just buy the license - or as kettykrueger says it comes with any EyeTV hardware so if you can get that second hand you’ll get a software license with it cheaper

Seen a number of indications from the new Owners of EyeTV that their have a AppleTV 4 version that has finished Beta and waiting for release…

Yes it sounded promising but they said over a month ago that it was releasing ‘now’ then went silent. Then this more recent news item suggested that Apple TV is in ‘phase 3’ of a programme of which they have just completed phase 1. With Phase 2 focussing on Android. So there’s hope but it doesn’t sound imminent to me.

https://www.geniatech.eu/eyetv/cooperation-geniatech-and-struktur-ag/

Very well put. Just a heads up, there’s a European company called VBox @home. They build hardware and are gradually refining the software, much like Tablo in the U.S.
They have a fully functional system which can record to a NAS or USB connected hard drive. Live TV and media recorded is then accessed via an Add-on in Kodi. They also have a native iOS app and are working on a native TVOS app.
They use OTA transmissions for guide info and offer a full grid guide. All software is free, they just make money off of the hardware.
Thought this would be useful for most folk not in North America.

1 Like

Yes if you go ahead with that I will be interested to hear how you get on. I was put off by the screenshots for the iOS app in the app store. They look pretty ugly to me. But certainly one to keep an eye on.

1 Like